• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Possessive on cage top

Caza66

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
scooby, the Maxi pi, is now about 18 weeks old and calls every time we are in the house to come out of the cage. So most of the late afternoon and evening he is out of the cage, on our shoulders, the back of the sofa and we started letting him go on the top of his cage, whilst we were busy doing something. But he has become territorial about the top of his cage and we have trouble trying to get him off it. So we don't let him up there anymore to avoid the situation. Are we doing the right thing or should we deal with the issue another way?

Any thoughts or advice?

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's how I would deal with it. Get him a nice play stand and make it fabulous for him with foraging activities, wonderful toys and play stations and he won't miss that boring cage top at all.

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Try target training him to climb on to you respectively when you try and get him down. At least that way he gets a treat out of it ;)

Caza66

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
That's how I would deal with it. Get him a nice play stand and make it fabulous for him with foraging activities, wonderful toys and play stations and he won't miss that boring cage top at all.
He does have a play stand, which is relegated to the dining room at the minute as I have taken in two rescue rats, so until these are integrated into the group next week and we have the space, he doesn't go on it that much.

Caza66

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
Try target training him to climb on to you respectively when you try and get him down. At least that way he gets a treat out of it ;)
He steps up brilliantly unless he is on the cage, so will try a treat if he goes up there again, luckily he can't fly yet (wing clipped by breeder :bored:).

I see from your sign you have an American kestrel, lucky you. I used to keep birds of prey and owls, my favourite was my Pere/Lugger falcon.

kitsunebandit

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Thanks! That's Bandit. He was creche reared but has the mannerisms of a spoilt little imprint. He's a fabulous bird though. I must post some photos of him here now I'm sticking around more :D I have flown other species of falcons but I've never owned one. I would love to if I had more time but luckily my Harris' and AK are okay with their routines. There was a saker I used to fly often but he was very sneaky. They always know how to catch you out! And that sucks that he was clipped by the breeder, without even asking!?

Caza66

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
I was annoyed aswell at him being clipped without asking. :mad: They said it was for safety reasons and having a youngster crash landing he could hurt himself, which he is doing now anyway! I did hand rear a linnie and he learnt fine with no crashes.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Why does he have to come off the cage top? If he stays there entertaining himself I would just leave him alone?

Caza66

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carol
We don't mind him being up there but when it comes to getting him off there for bed time or if we are to go into another room he doesn't want to and he looks like he is going to bite us and raises his wings at us, although he doesn't actually bite but we don't want to get to a point that he will.