• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poor unwanted boy. UPDATE

angelbabe

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
He's here!

Merlin is home, and he's stunning! dark smoky grey with yellow head and white on his wings.

Right now he is chilling in his cage, opposite the big cage, where he can see and hear the girls.

He has seed and water, and I will spend time with him later. Right now, he needs time to settle.

Welcome home, little man.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
He is gorgeous.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Merlin is a lucky man!

Last edited:

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Welcome home, Merlin!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Merlin! :)

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Many congrats!!!

angelbabe

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I will upload a photo of him later in the week, when he's had time to settle in. The 'tiel in the photo is my juvie, Spirit.

I have no idea of what kind of mental trauma this wee guy has had, so if anyone has experience with traumatised birds, and how to help them adjust, learn to trust, and hand tame, tips would be very much appreciated.

I want very much for Merlin to learn that he is safe, and will never be harmed, at his own pace.

Last edited:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome to the Avenue Merlin.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome! Congrats on your new feather baby!

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I have no idea of what kind of mental trauma this wee guy has had, so if anyone has experience with traumatised birds, and how to help them adjust, learn to trust, and hand tame, tips would be very much appreciated.
All I can say is remain patient and calm with Merlin...as you're doing. It will take even longer than usual for him to "unload his baggage"..so to speak, and to learn to trust again.

One thing working in your- and Merlin's favor...tiels, as a species, are very forgiving in their nature...they do recover from unfortunate circumstances better than some species...:)

Kodigirl210

Let Merlin do everything at the speed of Merlin. He may not interact right away but that’s okay. Drop treats to him when you walk by his cage or push an apple or some millet in between the bars. If you read, sit nearby and read out loud so he gets used to your voice. You can also try target training as that neither requires him to be out of the cage or you in it.

When you are ready to have him come out of his cage, open the door and let him choose when and how to come out. This takes the pressure off needing to put your hands in the cage and frightening/angering him and it takes the pressure off him of being forced to interact. Of course if he signals you to get him out (ie lifting his foot for you) then by all means offer him a perch.

Our fids are pretty good at expressing how they feel with body language. So always keep an eye on that and follow the lead of however he is feeling.

If for some reason you feel like you aren’t making a lot of progress, then journal about Merlin. See if you can figure out what he likes, what he doesn’t like. What his triggers are. What his favorite toy is, etc etc. In doing that you will learn how to read him better and if nothing else you will know what to give/do with him that is positive and what to stay away from.

If there is something specific you are having an issue overcoming, post it & I’m sure someone will help out.

Best of luck to you & thanks for giving Merlin a 2nd chance at a forever home!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! Looking forward to seeing pictures. :)