• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poor Little Guy...

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
I found a older Timneh on Craigslist for $100... well it turns out that the cage hasn't been cleaned in a year (they admitted this) and he has no access to toys, eats only seed, and drinks filthy water from the looks of the picture they sent me... needless to say I've emailed saying we could take him!

I'm just so sad people could treat an animal that is scientifically proven to be a feathered small child so terribly... I can't keep thinking about what if it was Delilah in that situation.

I hope that they give him to me, and not to some flipper looking to make a profit of of the poor guy.

It's so hard to run a rescue sometimes...

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's very sad. I hope that you are able to rescue the Timneh from his current situation and provide him with a loving and caring home.

peppermint

Meeting neighbors
i hope you get him.
that's animal abuse! how can they NOT clean the cage? how about the smell? [and im thinking even worms, ewwww]
filthy water? eww, but better than no water at all..

keep us updated!

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Poor thing. Keep us updated once you get him! Be sure to quarantine him from your existing birds for at least 30 days as well.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Thats so sad ..whats wrong with people :rant:

Rolanda

The ignorance is appalling. They admitted that the cage hadn't been cleaned in a year! Didn't even have the sense to lie about that atrocious behavior! Disgusting!:jawdrop1:
:yelling:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
This is more than a kind and brave thing that you are doing. There are so many like this Timmeh out here.

I am hopeful that you are aware of the issues that you may be facing. His health is, of course, the most daunting and likely challenge. I really wish you the very best and stand in awe of your nurturing character.

Rolanda

You are a great Human Being with the biggest of hearts to take this baby in. He's been kept in deplorable conditions. I wish you the best as you show him that life can be full and good.:heart:

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Oh thank you all for your kind words:)

I'm so horrified by the things I see on Craigslist. I literally just saw someone selling an amazon with a single toy in the cage, and someone selling a 5 month old nanday conure after they had him for 2 weeks (and they say they're rehoming him because of a "change in household", more like they didn't realize how loud the bird was).

The people with the African grey said they rehomed him to someone who could pick him up earlier (i had to wait a few days to get stuff ready, and I guess they wanted to just get rid of him), and I said if anything falls through I'd be happy to take him. This way, if it's an impulse buyer who doesn't realize what they got into, he goes to me, and if he has a good home, he'll stay there therefore opening my house up to another animal in need of help.

It's a win win! :D

Someday soon, probably after I go to collage, I'm going to open up a real parrot/exotic wildlife sanctuary, but for now I've just settled for a few patients at a time and a few long-term residents. Right now I have a little budgie with a plucking problem, and I'm getting some kittens in too.

I honestly feel there will be more neglected parrots in my future (if not this little Timneh than another one), does anyone have any tips on helping a neglected parrot open up a little?

Last edited:

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
did your new little bird get the vet care it needed while you were gone? Or are you still on vacation? I hope I'm not mixing up the people! My apologies if I am! :)

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
did your new little bird get the vet care it needed while you were gone? Or are you still on vacation? I hope I'm not mixing up the people! My apologies if I am! :)
Oh no you're not! Don't worry :)

I'm coming back tomorrow, and as for the vet care, we weren't able to find anyone willing to get her there and they couldn't take in a new bird for boarding on such short notice (especially as she would have to be quarantined).

However, we were able to get a mite treatment, and I'm scheduling an appointment for either Friday or Saturday so she should be good!

At this point with her I'm just worried about the plucking and getting her a little more open to people, as the pet store I rescued her from was really rough with her, and she's very nervous around humans.

I have a home lined up for her, once she's in a little better health and the plucking stops, but if it's not a match she'll always have a place with me of course :)