• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Poop Eating

Catherine89

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
ok I'm not sure why they do this but my cockateil will eat her poop, anyone know why they do these? She doesn't do it a lot , just every once in awhile .

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Diet deficiency or boredom leads tiels into consuming their own feces. Some parasites cause tiels to loose nutrients which results in them eating their own feces.
Play with your bird and spend time with it more often. If it continues after a week see a vet possibly.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I'm wondering if my be a boredom thing. We just switched her food to zoopreem naturals and she was just tested for parasites by the vet 2 weeks ago and she's good there, I'm working with her to come out of her cage but she's scared to venture out. ( unless I have millet) hopefully I can get her out more soon and stop her from eating it.

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Then boredom is the problem. Take a hand held perch and try and get her on the perch. Dont reach in with your hands. Everytime she steps up say "good girl" each time she is more comfortable put your hand slightly closer towards her. If she is comfortable with that, then put her back in the cage. Taming cockatiels will take patience, using millet is a good tactic to teach your bird that you mean no harm. Try talking or reading by the cage, and if she is upset or mad. Give her a little while then come back and try again.

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
There is no way to stop it unless you spend time with her, even just adding different toys in the cage will cure boredom. And talk to the bird calmly and quietly. Or even play some classical music for your tiel.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
You could also use target training to coax her out of the cage. That way she is moving towards the cage door/hand-held perch/ your hand, not the other way around. This is a pretty good example, although you can do touch training from inside the cage too:

If I remember correctly, you had another cockatiel too who recently passed away... Do you think the poop eating might be from anxiety/loneliness? I have no idea, but I do wonder.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Ok thanks I will definitely try those things , she's a very timid bird and spooks easily. Hopefully I'll gain her trust a little more

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
You could also use target training to coax her out of the cage. That way she is moving towards the cage door/hand-held perch/ your hand, not the other way around. This is a pretty good example, although you can do touch training from inside the cage too:

If I remember correctly, you had another cockatiel too who recently passed away... Do you think the poop eating might be from anxiety/loneliness? I have no idea, but I do wonder.
I was worried about that too , and we decided to get other tiel. This time we have decided to go through a breeder and are currently on a waiting list. We purchased her and are male that passed from a pet store I won't do that again.

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Adding another tiel ( especially male) will possibly cure her boredom. However if you want your tiel to be loyal and attached to you then you need to learn how to hand tame your tiel

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I will be working with her , she steps up and will sit on my finger , I can get her out of the cage for a brief second my she quickly retreats back to her cage

Attachments

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
When she steps up give her some millet. And dont give her millet for doing nothing.

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Hmm.. That is very typical for tiels. Just give her positive reinforcement when she does good

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Thanks for all the advice . I've been asking tons of questions because I want to make sure I keep my girl happy and healthy.

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
Ok thanks for the information I'll have to look into that

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The most likely reason your bird is "chewing" poop is because it's there, it's crunchy, and something to do. I highly doubt she's actually eating it

Catherine89

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Catherine
I really hope she's not , I'm sure it's not exactly healthy for them to consume it.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
When my tiels chew on poo, I will sprinkle Brewers yeast on they're food for a week or so, this usually elevates the problem.