• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Poop Changes (NOT urgent!)

d_msparkles

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Waffle had a rough week. Our freezer is not working properly, and after letting a couple meals’ worth of frozen chop thaw (which seemed way mushier than usual), I threw her chop out & switched to pellets for the time being.
On top of that, we had family in town this week, so our schedule was all messed up and she got a bit freaked out by some of the strangers (ESPECIALLY the 5 year old that doesn’t know when to leave her be.)
Since she’s off the chop, I’m trying to give her vegetables as a snack (frozen peas, fresh peppers usually).
She has been having mushy to normal poops throughout the past 3 days, with really watery/mushy poop first thing in the morning. This happened once before when I first got her & fed her too much fruit, and a probiotic + cutting back on fruit got her back to normal. I have started her probiotic again.
Otherwise, she seems completely normal—playing & eating as usual, and her weight is a healthy 67 grams (up 4 grams from her first checkup!). My hope is that the probiotic will settle things down. I know the diet change AND the stress could both be culprits. Should I cut her down even more to just pellets (no snacks or veggies)? Is she likely ok as long as she seems otherwise normal? If things don’t improve by Monday, I will schedule a vet visit.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
What pellets are you feeding?

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Roudybush daily maintenance. She was getting those for dinner & chop in the morning, so it wasn’t a total 100% change.

enigma731

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my tiels gets polyuric on Roudybush ever since they changed the formula a few months ago. If there are still some normal poops, I'd monitor and see if they normalize entirely once things are back to the usual routine.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh, thanks! I’m going to try keeping up the veggies since I know that’s good for her. Once we get our freezer fixed, I’ll go back to her chop routine.

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Poops are looking MUCH more normal this morning. I think her chop freezing, thawing, and refreezing added too much water to her diet...plus the stress. Keeping her on the probiotic since she doesn't seem to mind it. Yay for normal poops!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Double YAY