• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Polyuria in whiteface lutino cockatiel - please help

TKP

Moving in
Hello,
A couple of weeks ago, Celestin, my 6 year old whiteface lutino cockatiel suddenly developed polyuria overnight. He and my other pet cockatiel, Gilbert (heavy pied mutation, 12 yrs old), have been on a diet of dry food (nutriberries + Intune pellets + Caitec Ovenfresh + TOPS pellets) and fresh veggies (spinach, kale, peas, carrot, corn) all their life. Several days per week, I also sprinkle a small amount of organic spices/health supplement (turmeric power, ginger powder, cayenne powder, dandelion powder, milk thistle powder, dried herb salad mix, and brewer's yeast) on their dry food. They are flighted and live in a 7' x 5' aviary. Playtime outside the aviary is carefully monitored and they have access to only bird-safe toys without any lead-based paint.

I took him to an avian vet once the polyuria started. I am concerned he has renal failure but the vet believes it is a bacterial infection and prescribed an antibiotic (0.06 ml baytril twice a day) for 10 days. I am almost done with the treatment now, but there has been marginal to no improvement in his polyuria. The 1st picture is fresh poop that he drops first thing in the morning (The whited-out part is poop from my other pet, so I erased it to avoid confusion). The urine is hard to see in the picture, but the wet stain on the paper towel is abnormally huge compared to his previous 6 years of pooping. The 2nd picture shows 1-day old dried poop that he dropped midday. This has been a repeating pattern the past 2 weeks; the feces part of his very first morning poop seems marginally okay (but still lots of urine), while all other droppings for the rest of the day have very thin and fragmented feces with little urate and lots of urine (after a few hours, they dry into almost nothing, like in the 2nd pic).

He is still active and eats well and has no weight loss. My other cockatiel is hale and healthy, which is another reason I think this isn't a bacterial infection that can spread. But I very concerned that Celestin has kidney issues, and the polyuria was exactly how the renal failure started for my previous pet, Celina, whom I lost 7 years ago. I didn't know better back then, and by the time I took her to the vet, it was too late. An autopsy revealed her kidneys were half the size of what they should have been. I don't want to experience that painful memory again with my current pet.

There are very, very few avian vets in my area and the one I took him to has 30+ years of experience with birds. There is one other highly reputed avian vet in my area but she is booked solid for 2 more weeks, so I'll have to wait a while to get a second opinion. Is there any other treatment for kidney issues? Herbal supplements? Or could this be some other ailment? White face lutinos are known to be more vulnerable with weakened immune systems, but my guy is from a 20+ yr reputed breeder who has been carefully breeding the lighter mutations without diluting the genetic diversity in his flock. So I don't think Celestin has any of the common hereditary issues known to plague white face lutinos. Please help, what else can I do to help my pet?

Thank you,
TKP

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I would first wait to see if the full course of antibiotics clears it up before making changes. I would follow up the antibiotics with avian probiotics for 30 days. I don't know if it's signs of renal failure or not. Just some dietary suggestions in general- I am a believer that tiels need some seeds in their diet. (I know there's some in the nutriberries.) I would actually decrease the amount of pellets and add some quality seeds to their diets. There was a study that suggested that an all pellet diet can be hard on a tiel's kidneys. I realize you aren't feeding an all pellet diet. You are feeding a varied one but I would probably try it to see if it helps. Also, if you're not already, I would only give the spinach a couple times a month. Too much iron can be harmful too. These of course are just some suggestions. I would follow your vet's advice or get a second opinion. I hope the problem clears up!

TKP

Moving in
Thank you Sunnysmom for your suggestions, much appreciated. I will wait to complete the full course of antibiotics before making any change (just 2 more days to go). I'm calling the vet today to give a progress update and see what to do next. I posted this in another forum as well and one of the members suggested asking the vet to check for chlamydia pstici and seeing if doxycycline is needed next for the treatment. And yes, I have the avian probiotics ready once the antibiotics is done (The probiotics is something I've already been sprinkling regularly along with the other spice/herb mix, I forgot to mention it in my original post). I'll also increase the amount of seeds a bit more. Thanks for letting me know about the fresh spinach/kale (This is their favorite among all their foods; they like it even more than the nutriberries that has molasses in it). I actually give each pet 2-3 leaves of fresh spinach/kale twice a week as a treat, I didn't know it has to be cut back to just twice a month, thanks for pointing it out.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you Sunnysmom for your suggestions, much appreciated. I will wait to complete the full course of antibiotics before making any change (just 2 more days to go). I'm calling the vet today to give a progress update and see what to do next. I posted this in another forum as well and one of the members suggested asking the vet to check for chlamydia pstici and seeing if doxycycline is needed next for the treatment. And yes, I have the avian probiotics ready once the antibiotics is done (The probiotics is something I've already been sprinkling regularly along with the other spice/herb mix, I forgot to mention it in my original post). I'll also increase the amount of seeds a bit more. Thanks for letting me know about the fresh spinach/kale (This is their favorite among all their foods; they like it even more than the nutriberries that has molasses in it). I actually give each pet 2-3 leaves of fresh spinach/kale twice a week as a treat, I didn't know it has to be cut back to just twice a month, thanks for pointing it out.
It's hard when it's something they really like. Maybe try something like Romaine or Bibb lettuce instead. My tiel Sunny loved broccoli and I had to eliminate it after he had a stroke. I was advised that it has a lot of vitamin K which is good normally but not when I bird has a history of strokes as it is a blood thickener. I will tag @Hankmacaw too in case she has suggestions. She is much more medically knowledgable than I am.

TKP

Moving in
Thank you Sunnysmom, I will try lettuce and cut back on the spinach. I have an appointment with another avian vet for a second opinion next week.

TKP

Moving in
Hello everyone,

It has been a year and a half since I made this post and wanted to share some updates. Celestin's polyuria is still the same. The vet ran more tests and prescribed more medications, but nothing seemed to have helped. She also suggested adding some supplements like rehmannia extract to his diet. I've been sprinkling Sun Ten brand's rehmannia 8, milk thistle extract, dandelion root extract, turmeric & ginger powder on his pellets every day since last spring. While his polyuria hasn't gone away, he is still happy and active and is leading an otherwise normal life. And I'm planning to continue with all the herbal extracts.

If anyone else has feathered companions with chronic polyuria, please share your experience here and maybe tips on how you're making life more comfortable for them.

Attachments

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Hello everyone,

It has been a year and a half since I made this post and wanted to share some updates. Celestin's polyuria is still the same. The vet ran more tests and prescribed more medications, but nothing seemed to have helped. She also suggested adding some supplements like rehmannia extract to his diet. I've been sprinkling Sun Ten brand's rehmannia 8, milk thistle extract, dandelion root extract, turmeric & ginger powder on his pellets every day since last spring. While his polyuria hasn't gone away, he is still happy and active and is leading an otherwise normal life. And I'm planning to continue with all the herbal extracts.

If anyone else has feathered companions with chronic polyuria, please share your experience here and maybe tips on how you're making life more comfortable for them.
Since I wrote previously, we had a tiel come in to the rescue I help with with severe polyuria. After vet consult and discussing the study I previously mentioned, the vet and I decided to completely eliminate pellets from her diet. She gets seeds and chop. Her foster mom has reported that her droppings are pretty much normal now. I am not saying no pellets for all cockatiels of course but I think in cases like with this tiel it was necessary.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Since I wrote previously, we had a tiel come in to the rescue I help with with severe polyuria. After vet consult and discussing the study I previously mentioned, the vet and I decided to completely eliminate pellets from her diet. She gets seeds and chop. Her foster mom has reported that her droppings are pretty much normal now. I am not saying no pellets for all cockatiels of course but I think in cases like with this tiel it was necessary.
I should add that testing was done first to make sure she didn't have an illness.

TKP

Moving in
Thank you for sharing. That's a great idea. Celestin is due for his annual checkup in a few weeks. After his annual, I'll try a week or 2 with just nutriberries and eliminate all the pellets and see if this help.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura

One type of chronic bacteria is clymadia, really only responding to doxycycline requires 45 day treatment. And yours doesn't have the very typical bright green urates associated with this infection.

Tho , there are plenty of chronic things to affect kidney, especially with age .

Last edited:
Reactions: TKP

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thank you for sharing. That's a great idea. Celestin is due for his annual checkup in a few weeks. After his annual, I'll try a week or 2 with just nutriberries and eliminate all the pellets and see if this help.
Nutriberries still have pellets in them. I would discuss with your vet of course. It's important that the bird gets lots of fresh vegetables too.