1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Polymar Clay?

Discussion in 'Safety Avenue' started by MNR, 12/4/17.

  1. MNR

    MNR Strolling the yard

    Joined:
    5/12/16
    Messages:
    87
    Not that I am trying to use it, but all the discussions about toxic materials reminded me of my own experience.

    It was around 2000-2003, when I had only one bird, my cockatiel, Cherry. We lived in a small house with kitchen, dining area and "family room" all basically in one room. Cherry was in the area when my ex-H decided to bake Polymar clay items in oven for his hobby (making scenery for a game using miniatures) . I was sitting on the couch next to Cherry's cage when I started to smell something. As soon as I noticed the smell, I looked Cherry, and I saw him gasping for air. I immediately removed him from the area and he was O.K. (he lived to be 21+ years old. He passed away in 2016 ), but I still wonder if he survived if I did not remove him from the area right away.

    Just wanted to mention this. For me if it is not "true to tried" to be safe items (cast iron, aluminum, ceramic, glass, etc), don't put in the oven!
     
    Jas, Tiel Feathers and WallyLoopey like this.
  2. expressmailtome

    expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

    Joined:
    4/15/10
    Messages:
    38,728
    Real Name:
    Matthew
    If Cherry was gasping for air, the odds are pretty high that you removing him from the fumes is what saved him.
     
    MNR likes this.
  3. finchly

    finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I'm a SECRET SANTA - Are you? I Can't Stop Posting!

    Joined:
    5/16/14
    Messages:
    2,792
    Location:
    SW Florida
    Real Name:
    Tanya
    Good thing you were vigilant! Polymer clay is pretty toxic. I bought a small oven to bake it in and used it outdoors so my fids wouldn't be exposed.
     
    MNR likes this.
  4. MNR

    MNR Strolling the yard

    Joined:
    5/12/16
    Messages:
    87
    Good thing that I was sitting next to him. I thought I knew what were unsafe. It did not even occur to me that Polymer clay would be unsafe until I smelled the fume and saw Cherry's reaction. It's not an everyday item and not as well known as dangerous items, like Teflon.
     
    finchly likes this.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)