• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Poisoned?!

Lil'Carl

Moving in
Real Name
Carl Andersson
Hi! Sorry to just blatantly come here to ask for help but our conure just got (water-diluted) essential "Purification" oil on her talons and tummy feathers and I just read online that it contains tea tree oil which is poisonous for birds so I'm kinda panicking here... Does anyone know HOW dangerous it is and if I can try and wash it off SOMEHOW? I've tried with just water obviously but it doesn't seem to do that much... I've got her wrapped up in a towel atm so that she can't reach it with her beak. We live in somewhat remote part of Sweden and it's in the middle of the night right now so I don't know if I can get a hold of a veterinarian

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
You can use a small amount of original dawn dish washing liquid.
Warm water, and rinse well.
Then made sure she is completely dry.
Dawn is used to wash oil off sea birds, so it is safe.
Try not to get any on her head and eye area.

Lil'Carl

Moving in
Real Name
Carl Andersson
Omg thank you two so much for responing! ❤

We dont have that dawn brand here unfortunarely, can I use regular dish wash liquid?

I think we got some kinda kids' shower cream, will that do?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'll tag a couple folks @Birdbabe and @Milo

I know the original dawn dishwashing liquid was used for wildlife birds.

Lil'Carl

Moving in
Real Name
Carl Andersson
Apparently our dish washing liquid contains Methylisothiazolinone which I just read is "very poisonous for water living organisms" so that doesn't sound too good

Looks to be a lot of chemicals in the kid's shower cream as well, are there any particular chemicals bird's can't handel or are they just bad altogether? Sorry to be such a bother I just don't want to make it worse

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would use another oil to try and dilute it. Olive oil, coconut oil, etc, until you can find a soap to remove the oils

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Looks like dawn may have different names in different countries........Fairy Liquid, Dawn and Joy are other names I’ve found for it. Dawn is the preferred soap but not the only one used. Something gentle on skin that breaks oil down and doesn’t irritate eyes is a big factor in which soaps to use.
The main criteria for the soap they choose to use for birds is- it must effectively remove oil, be non toxic, not irritate or damage skin and feathers, rinse off easily without leaving a residue and be as environmentally friendly as possible.

Lil'Carl

Moving in
Real Name
Carl Andersson
I would use another oil to try and dilute it. Olive oil, coconut oil, etc, until you can find a soap to remove the oils
Wow thats a smart idea, I might just try that thank you!

You are NOT a bother!

You are a concerned parrot owner.

Hang in there!
Thank you, I just feel so irresponsible cause it was my fault, I can't believe how stupid I am.

Thank you all so much for helping <3

Lil'Carl

Moving in
Real Name
Carl Andersson
@Shezbug
Thanks, that's good information.

Our brand of dish washing liquid is called "yes", it's the best one on the market over here by far, but it looks different from that dawn one...

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@Shezbug
Thanks, that's good information.

Our brand of dish washing liquid is called "yes", it's the best one on the market over here by far, but it looks different from that dawn one...
I actually believe that is the same as fairy dish soap

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Also from what I have read DAWN ingredients are not all exactly bird friendly but it works as it is used in low concentrations.

I would personally use the dish soap I have (which is not dawn) if I needed to get oil off my bird. It is good at cleaning up oily things and is very gentle on my hands.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Dawn ORIGINAL is gentle. They make various forms of Dawn though and the others are stronger.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So I actually just spoke to my vet who said any other gentle on skin dish liquid is fine to use as long as it is well diluted. Yes DAWN is the universally recommended one but not all places have access to it and other dish liquids have proven to be as effective. She also said that using any other dish liquid is preferable to leaving the bird oily.

Her directions were to make sure the dish liquid is well diluted in the tub of water you will bathe the bird in and not applied directly on the bird, keep the eyes and face area clear of suds and soapy water, rinse very well in warm water and dry well.

Lil'Carl

Moving in
Real Name
Carl Andersson
Dawn sounds wonderful, I wish we had it here in Sweden as well. There might be something equally good though, I'll have to do some more research on that... Thanks

Lil'Carl

Moving in
Real Name
Carl Andersson
So I actually just spoke to my vet who said any other gentle on skin dish liquid is fine to use as long as it is well diluted. Yes DAWN is the universally recommended one but not all places have access to it and other dish liquids have proven to be as effective. She also said that using any other dish liquid is preferable to leaving the bird oily.

Her directions were to make sure the dish liquid is well diluted in the tub of water you will bathe the bird in and not applied directly on the bird, keep the eyes and face area clear of suds and soapy water, rinse very well in warm water and dry well.
Thank you so much! This information brings me to tears of joy! You're our hero!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
For some reason, I didnt get the tag. What you've done is good. Wash wash, rinse ,rinse. Hope your baby is ok!