• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Point and Shoot recs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I'm in the market for a camera. I'm currently using my now-ex's Canon SD890IS and quite like it, but I've really got to give it back soon. I've got no idea how old it is though or what is the current equivalent to it. I'm not a 'photographer' per se, just a pet owner who likes taking pictures and video clips of them being cute, so I'm looking for something that is quick, can deal with the issues of indoor lighting and isn't super expensive. Being fairly small/light is nice too, macro function is a must. Suggestions, oh photography gurus?

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
How much do you want to spend?

Blazeybird

Real Name
Houston
I second dereks suggestion. Its basically a smaller version of my camera and I LOVE my camera. Its amazing ;).

But before I can give any more recommendations, how much were you looking to spend? If you dont mind? :)

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I think that I expect to spend up to $300ish? Less for something decent would be great, or I could do a bit more if it's the right camera.

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
The Canon SX210IS is a good choice. It is a little over your $300 budget. It's currently running about $350 online. You can pick up the SX200IS, which is almost the same camera (older model with 12x zoom instead of 14x) for around $270. It is also a good choice. If it wasn't for your small size requirement, I'd suggest moving up into the SX20IS, which is running the same price as the SX210IS, and is more camera. The SX20IS is my backup camera for my DSLR. Of course, you might want to let some of the non-Canon users put in their 2 cents worth, though I'm not sure why (just kidding).

Last edited:

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
The 210 is very shiny! I do like the 200 and it's cheaper in addition to actually being available now, so it's on the table for consideration even if I do think it's a little funny looking. The SX20IS LOOKs like a lot of camera, and I think that intimidates me, in addition to being harder to toss in a bag and go. I'm open to other brands, but I've had a couple cruddy camera in the past, so I'm happy to stick with what I know is quality too. :)

ChromeScholar

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
The SX20IS has an program setting that will do everything for you, if you want. It also has the ability to let you do as much as you want, including doing everything manually. It's a good camera to learn the ins and outs of serious photography on. It's also got a 20x optical zoom.

repaul3

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ruth
That is the one I would go with. The SX20IS. It sounds like your going to get the most for your money with that one.:)

ba-b4

Meeting neighbors
for indoor shooting I'd recommend something like the Canon S90 over the others. I think it's closer to $400 though.

Status
Not open for further replies.