• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Poi is twitching/jerking head

gtpprog

Moving in
Real Name
Shazia
Hello all. I need your thoughts please! My 1 yr old Brown Headed Parrot (poi) 'Gibson' has started doing this weird head twitch/jerk. He stops, stares to his side or belly, and twitches/jerks his head a couple of times. Happens quite frequently throughout the day, but only when he is in certain parts of the house. Doesn't happen in direct sunlight when he's outside, nor does it happen when he's in my bedroom where it's not too bright. So i don't know if it's a response to light. Other than that he is eating well, sleeping normally, playing, chasing his brothers, vocalizing, etc. I took him to a good avian vet a week ago, who suggested he might have hurt his head. The vet did a thorough check of his nose, ears, throat, physical examination, response to stimuli, and all was good on that front. The next step is to subject poor Gibson to a full blood panel and X-ray, and my hubby and I are so stressed with the idea of subjecting this small little creature to a needle and anesthesia. I cant figure out how to attach a video from my iPhone :( Has anyone experienced this before?

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I haven't experienced it before, but don't stress too much about the anaesthesia. It is perfectly safe in the right hands. Hope you can get some answers.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
hello welcome to Avian Ave, did your vet check his eyes? I would say the blood panel is the next step and to be honest about it you are more upset about the needle then the bird will be. remember you have to be calm for your bird to be calm.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
You might want to do a heavy metal toxic screening just to be on the safe side ...twitching of the head is a sign of that and not to scare you but can show up early in a birds life ...so if you decide to get the blood work done have them run that as an extra panel :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If the twitching is continuing have the blood panel done as well as heavy metal toxicity panels. My vet doesn't anesthetize for blood panels.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Absolutely have blood work done. Whether or not the bird is anesthetized for the blood draw is a personal preference for the vet, but it is truly the safest option for the x-rays. If your vet prefers to anesthetize birds for the blood draw you should go ahead and have the x-rays done too so you don't have to potentially put him under twice.

There is always a risk with anesthesia, but with an experienced staff anesthesia can be very quick and the risk is minimal.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope Gibson is okay!

gtpprog

Moving in
Real Name
Shazia
Thank you so much everyone! I'm off to the vet tomorrow for a 2nd visit. I will provide an update as soon as we figure out what's going on. Thank you!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hope the sweetie is OK! :sadhug2:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Adorable pictures! I hope the vet visit goes well!

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Hope he's okay...just had my little elderly guy with extensive heart disease done for xrays. Light sedation and he came out okay. Def have the xray done which should show ingested materials. Blood work is a routine thing. Just don't watch...it's harder than having your own bloodwork. Hoping all is well.