• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Plumber and fumes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ciesana

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
:omg: My toilet backed up last night, and the plumber is here now, fixing it. Apparently I need a new pump. He's using some sort of purple goop around the pipes, and it smells horrible!! :mad:

I'm in the bedroom with Eddie, and the door is shut tightly (with a towel at the bottom), but there are still fumes and they are giving me a headache! I'm really worried about Eddie! It's too cold to take him outside, and I don't want to open my bedroom door because I'm afraid to let more fumes in. Will he be okay! Will I? I don't have an air purifier at the moment (my ex has it), so it's just me and Eddie, stuck in the bedroom. Please reassure me here! :confused::confused:

dorn27

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Kristi
urgh, if it's giving you a headache, its probably not good for birds. You're in the room with the bird and there is enough smell to give you headache?

I'd probably say get out. Call your vet (if open) see if you can drop Eddie off for a while (I bet the desk people will let him just hang out there!)

Otherwise pack up and head to a family or friends house for a bit.

birdman78

Real Name
John
I am familiar with that purple plumming stuff. I would get as much fresh air as possible. That stuff is pretty bad. It also has a chemical in it that slightly melts the PVC pipe to make a tight seal. Can you crack the window to let fresh air in?

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Crack the window, or get him in a carrier and go somewhere until later.

Ginger

WingedVictory

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Hi, Ginger has good advice take the bird to a neighbors or to your car. The bird needs fresh air. From what you are describing it sounds like PVC glue which is very toxic if ingested.

gary

Status
Not open for further replies.