• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

P'let and other species compatibility

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
I recently lost my lovely little Zebra finch Star to old age and my P'let Gizmo has been very quiet since and just seems sad without a feathery neighbour. A friend of mine has a friend who is wanting to rehome a blue throated Conure as they cannot deal with it behaving as you would expect a parrot to behave (noisey, biting, feather plucking), the bird is being shut away as it is no longer liked, is now plucking and biting and that makes me feel sad too :(.

I am considering this bird as a new potential buddy for Gizmo as I plan to get another bird any way as I don't like to just have one bird in a house by itself. Although the noise level of a Conure is probably more than I will be allowed with my partner not being overly noise tolerant I wanted people's opinions on whether a P' Conure is a suitable sized companion for a P'let, I want a 2nd bird that Gizmo can safely interact with if they like each other (they don't have to interact but I want a safe sized companion if they do want to too). I know all birds are individuals and any I choose may not get along but I just need a general idea, I have seen pics of p'lets with missing beaks from larger birds attacking them and I really don't want that, they will be living next door to each other or opposite once I get the larger cages I'm planning once my boa gets a viv upgrade. What do you think?

Other species I'm considering are a bourke, linnie or mountain keet, or another p'let (maybe a spec or green rump). There are so many choices and the main one I'm leaning towards is a linnie at the moment

Thank you :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As much as I want this poor conure to have a new home with you, I don't think I would let the two birds out unsupervised. Others with conure experience can better answer than me though. And sorry for your loss of Star.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would recommend another parrotlet, even though I love blue-throated conures. The size difference is too big for comfort. And linnies are more reserved in personality, and possibly not a good match for a feisty parrotlet.

Beanurita

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Melissa
I recently got a P'let and already had a yellow sided GCC, a love bird, 2 American budgie boys, 2 tiel siblings so now I have 7 total. They have all been introduced and all do come out to play but I still keep a watch on all of them. My love bird is who I need to watch the most not because she is being mean but because she thinks everyone is her friend straight away. She likes to get into everyone's faces which isn't always appreciated by all. The budgies and tiels don't care who hangs out with them. My YSGCC is the one I thought would be the on to watch since she is the one who has Ben here the longest and she likes her space watching everyone from her favorite perch. She keeps everyone away when she is out but I've noticed that she likes my little guy and is very curious about him. She also like to sit with the budgies.....

Bottom line is that it all really depends on the personalities/temperments and how they are introduced.....IMO! Maybe you can go visit the "new" bird a few times and spend time with him before making a decision??

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
Do you think it would be a good idea if I decide to visit the bird, taking Gizmo with me so I can see how they respond to each other (from inside cages, I wouldn't just let them free together obviously)? I would normally quarantine new birds before introeing so that would be a bit of a concern potentially if I was to take Giz. What ever bird I decide to get they will always be supervised when out together unless I get a p'let and they develop a strong bond then potentially they can live together or just stay as neighbours if they prefer.

It's most likely that I will go for another p'let, in which case would a boy be the best choice or another girl? I don't want them to breed so can that be discouraged if I had a male and female?

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can replace any eggs with fake ones, or hard-boil the eggs. I don't think two female parrotlets would get along, but I'm no expert on parrotlets.

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
I hadn't thought about hard boiling, good tip thanks. That's what I'm thinking regarding sexes, I've made a new thread for more info but I'm guessing a male, just waiting for a few opinions to confirm as they are a long term pet and I want to make the best choice for the birds

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
You would have a better chance with a male/female P'let as a general rule but remember that doesn't always mean that they would be able to be house together. Even if they are friend and like to play together they may not want to share living space!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I would not mind a conure with a smaller bird. Conure may do severe harm.

Monkey & Izzy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Tanya
I have a P'let and an Indian Ringneck and I tried to let them play together but there are a couple reasons why they can't. One is Monkey (P'let) is a female and she can be pretty spunky. She chases Izzy who is male and bites his toes. Izzy is in love with Monkey and wants to well he REALLY likes her :xflove:. She will chase him like you wouldn't believe and he runs but will not stay away. I am afraid she will hurt him and if they fight he could really do some damage to her. They do talk to each other when no one is in the room through their cages. Even with supervision (with me standing with them) it is not safe for them to be out together. I think another P'let or another bird very close to P'let size is your best bet if you want to them to play outside the cage together. Good luck.

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
Yay! My P'let is only 5m (DOH 5 Aug) & blinded us this past Christmas and he is the sweetest thing but he charges my other birds and I'm not sure yet if he has good intentions or not yet....he gets pretty excited when it's play time but with the P'let out with them I stay very close and don't even blink cause he will charge any of the others. I have a yellow sided GCC, a lovie bird, 2 American budgies and 2 tiels!

Samurai

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Elle
I going to get another p'let, I have contacted Gizmo's breeder who suggested another female and I don't think I will be housing them together but will keep them as neighbours. What are everyone's thoughts on 2 female p'lets as potential play friends, anyone have 2 females? Also I may have the choice between celestial and spectacled p'lets, my preference would be a male spec as I love their colour or a celestial so I have to decide on that too depending what sexes hatch out. My partner is thinking another celestial as they will speak the same language lol which does kinda make sense...

Are male p'lets more aggressive towards other birds generally? As I love the male spectacled p'lets colours

My other thought is maybe a cockatiel as Gizmo was very gentle with Star and my old teil was very gentle with my budgies, do p'lets get feistier around other birds when they reach a certain age?

Sometimes I wish there was only one kind of pet, I end up over thinking every little detail :banghead:

Last edited:

Beanurita

Real Name
Melissa
I really dislike autocorrect! Our current P'let JOINED us at Christmas time NOT BLINDED!! Ugh!! :headsmack: