• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please Help!!

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
She's been having very watery poops. She looks to be having contracts and she is dilated. She's standing on her perch like this sort of rocking back and forth.
Is this normal behaviour for a bird whose going to lay an egg?
I get a bad feeling about this.. I need to know some at home things that may help her. Please don't say a vet, somethings have happen lately which I do not have the money. This early stages I need to know some things to do to help her. I sprayed warm water and vegetable oil on her vent and put her in a steamy room.

20160209_203439.jpg

20160209_203219.jpg

20160209_203456.jpg

Last edited:

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I don't have much advice as I'm not an expert, but I hope she's okay!
Hopefully someone gives some advice soon.
Sending positive thoughts and hugs.
:sadhug2:

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Thank you!
I hope she will be okay. I can't do a vet right now so I'm trying to do everything I can for her. Hopefully it will be enough.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Steamy room is good. Lubricate vent likely is good but not sure what product is recommended.
Poops look like she is not eating. Don't know if watery poops is caused by trying to lay an egg.

Hope you get some advise. None of us are vets & sometimes the best advise we can give is to get vet care for a bird
who may be in trouble.

Keep her in a warm steamy bathroom. Hopefully it is an egg & it may pass by itself but if too much time goes on with stress symptoms without an egg she may be having trouble passing it. This can be life threatening & may need vet care to save her life.

Poor girl. I hope she will be alright

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
The shower seemed to help her. She perked up a bit. I was thinking the same about her not eating.. here is her vent. It's wet from me spray it.
20160209_220940.jpg

20160209_220938.jpg

20160209_221341.jpg

20160209_221330.jpg

Last edited:

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
A picture like the 3rd one where she is in profile perched on the cup would be most helpful. Just like that, but without the cup in the way. You need to look for the bulge between the back of her legs and her tail.

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I found this pic online for you
image.jpeg
See the bulge? If your tiel is going to lay, she will have a bulge right there.

If she doesn't have a bulge, or she does but doesn't lay (in which case she is probably egg bound) then you're going to have to take her to a vet.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
She doesn't have a bump that big. But she didn't have one that big when she had an egg before either. The first time she laid an egg without a shell then she laid one with a soft shell. I've been giving her calcium supplements and vitamins and I was planning to wait longer but she started breeding and preparing herself so I just gave the nest box back so if she did lay an egg it wouldn't be on the bottom.
She's currently in the box with the male.
Her last owner had no clue about birds and didn't care for her. I didn't know to what extent until I saw those eggs.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Is this any better? She's not tame that's why it's hard to get a good picture. She does this thing where she opens up the feathers on her chest.
20160209_230208.jpg

20160209_230307.jpg

alcmene

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I don't know. I'm far far far from an expert on avian reproduction. I wouldn't even call myself a novice. But i thought I might be able to help since I have a conure who is laying right now and I've been reading obsessively and talking to friends who are experts about it.

Honestly, from the symptoms you're describing, it sounds like it could be eggs. But if she doesn't lay in the next day or 2 she is likely in trouble and needs veterinary attention.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Hopefully the calcium supps have done some good. Its not good she has been having soft / no shell eggs as I think they are harder to push out.
I 2nd the above post.

Hoping soon she lays an egg is that is what is causing her the distress.

:angel1:

Last edited:

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
So she doesn't look much better this morning. Neither have used the bathroom. I think I will put a millet spray in to see if she will eat that.

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
Hi. I just went through something similar with my GCC Fern. She had laid two eggs and then a day later she would perch with her eyes closed and seemed a little disoriented. She wasn't eating either. Took her to the vet and they did X-rays and she had a large egg she was too weak to pass. The vet never said "egg bound" just large egg that should have passed within two days of the last one. If she did not pass in next 24 hours they were going to sedate and try to help her pass it or pop the egg. She did poop too so that wasn't a concern. Her poop's were watery like the pic you showed if yours.

The vet was adament about keeping her in an incubator at 90 degrees as getting cold when weak can make them go down fast. If you have a heating pad or heater you can make sure she stays really warm would be a good idea.
Fern did pass her large egg and is all recovered. Was very scary so I can understand how you feel.

I hope your lil one gets better!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope she's okay.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
Here is what she looks like today. I don't see a bump, but she is still acting weird. There's nothing in the nest and no droppings. From either of them..
20160210_111408.jpg

safehaven

Sprinting down the street
Hi again,
When you say no droppings from either of them, is that her mate you are referring to? Also, how long since last "poop".

Is she drinking? When is last time she ate/drank?

These are questions I was asked so maybe knowing this may help with some responses for you.

Bird-Mom

Walking the driveway
She is drinking a lot of water. Her and her mate aren't using the bathroom. She had very watery droppings last night. They were almost pure liquid, no green. I'm debating if I should put some calcium on the seed today. The last day was 3 days ago. She has also been eating her calcium bone.