• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Please help

madison nicole

Walking the driveway
ok so my bird sunny has had this issue with trying to regurgitate for me...well every time she does it I try to discourage it by putting her in her cage. Well lately it has been getting worse and about 5 mins ago she did it again but this time something came up. Idk if she's sick or what and I'm really worried now.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
is it only when you are holding her? she isn't doing it in her cage? my girls are doing this. Weeble never gets anything up, but beeper recently barfed on other half's hand. If this is only when you are involved it's probably just a hormonal thing. If she is doing it randomly it could be an illness. Some birds do regurgitate for toys even.

madison nicole

Walking the driveway
is it only when you are holding her? she isn't doing it in her cage? my girls are doing this. Weeble never gets anything up, but beeper recently barfed on other half's hand. If this is only when you are involved it's probably just a hormonal thing. If she is doing it randomly it could be an illness. Some birds do regurgitate for toys even.
Thank you so much. This really took a load of stress off. I may still take her to the vet just in case.

carolz7

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
carol
My female blue and gold has been doing this also. Thanks now i no i dont have to worry. :faint:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Regurgitation is a normal behavior in parrots. Yes, I have had it on my face, in my hair!:wtf: Normally you will see other behaviors such as peeping noises, wings drooped, dancing around a bit. All normal. It is important to know the difference between regurgitation and vomiting. Normally, when a bird vomits it shakes its' head side to side and the substance from the crop goes every which way!:wideyed:

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
Baylee regurgitates to me at night :depressed::wtf: i have noticed she does it IF i take her out after 7.30 pm before going to sleep! so im trying to take her out earlier and to sleep to 7.30 pm to avoid regurgitation! :facepalm:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you want to discourage the behavior, then you need to figure out what you want her to do *INSTEAD* of that behavior.... i.e. is there a trick or something she could do or something you could teach her so when she starts to regurgitate you could cue the behavior instead? And reward her for the desired behavior?

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I wouldn't put her back in the cage every time. Just walk away and ignore her for a few minutes. And keep petting to head and neck only. Even then it can trigger regurgitation. It's not that it's a bad thing. We just don't want to "lead them on" and have them frustrated when we don't fulfill their needs. And they will bite out of frustration.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
If you want to discourage the behavior, then you need to figure out what you want her to do *INSTEAD* of that behavior.... i.e. is there a trick or something she could do or something you could teach her so when she starts to regurgitate you could cue the behavior instead? And reward her for the desired behavior?
I should try this with my girls. Great idea!