• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help

Sylvia333

Meeting neighbors
I have recently adopted a 2 1/2 yr old Quaker that screeches at the top of her lungs from sun up to sun down. Any suggestions on what I can do? I've heard that there are essential oils that helps them keep calm. I love her to death but it can he over welming due to it bein NON STOP. :sad7: Please help

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
I am sure someone with screeching experience will jump on but I am not sure about using essential oils around a bird. Please hold on.

pajarita

Walking the driveway
Quakers' vocalizations are loud, often shrill and more frequent than other species. They are sui generis but they are very 'conurey' both in behavior and looks so loud screams are pretty much unavoidable. Having said that, if a bird (any bird) screams all day long, there is a problem. Usually (and I am not saying this is the problem with your bird, just that this is the most common cause), the problem is hormones and loneliness. Quakers are not tropical birds, they come from the temperate climate zone in South America so they are intensely sensitive to photoperiodism making it imperative to keep them to a strict solar schedule with full exposure to dawn and dusk and giving lower protein during the resting season (after molt and until right the breeding season starts) or they become terribly hormonal which translates into screams and bites. Flying around dissipates the hormones, hours and hours of out-of-cage time (at the very least, 4 hours), baths (they are great bathers and don't usually require your spraying them, they gladly do it on their own) and 'building materials' like sticks, large pieces of paper, little branches, etc distract them but none of them will make her/him stop producing sexual hormones, you need short days and lower protein for that.

Producing sexual hormones all year round doesn't sound too bad to us because that's the way we are made but birds never do and, when we keep them at a human light schedule month after month, year after year, their gonads become too large and cause discomfort and even pain so their screams are not only due to sexual frustration (been aroused all the time without relief), they are also caused by physical hardship. There is a quaker in this birdsite that had resorted to self-mutilation on the spot right over where his overly enlarged gonads were...