• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

please help novice bird owner with a feather plucking parrot!

Louiseknight84

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Louise
Hi fellow parrot lovers
I have a hahns macaw who is a few years old, all the time we have had him he's always had beautiful plumage but over the last few months he has stared to pull all his feathers out he's nearly bald on his chest legs and under his wings and I have no idea why he would have stared to do this im in desperate need of advice. I will be taking him to the vets next month for blood test but I just want to know if this is more likely to be something behavioural over medical. He has started to twitch as if he is itchy? But this may have been a normal behaviour that I just have not noticed before. (I tried to upload a video but it would not allow me to) He's not A bird who likes to be handled and much prefers to sit on your shoulder and not be touched. He has also recently started to try and mate with me...or what I believe is him trying to mate with me obviously I have not allowed him to do this but I feel this may have possibly started around the same time? Please offer helpful advice and your own experiences. I'm beside myself with worry

Thanks in advance

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
He has also recently started to try and mate with me...or what I believe is him trying to mate with me obviously I have not allowed him to do this but I feel this may have possibly started around the same time?

This was what I was going to ask. A few years old, no sexual release, I am assuming no other parrots in the home - he's frustrated and it's developing into this behavioral issues. This is not to say that it CAN'T be medical, so I would keep the appointment, but Hahn's are likely to be feather pickers when kept as a lone bird it seems. :(

Louiseknight84

Real Name
Louise
I'm just so stressed about it I thought I was doing everything I should be for him. He is the only bird in the house we have a busy house which he seems to love, he's always got someone talking to him interacting with him he's got a big cage with lots of toys and stimulation but he's obviously not happy...it's so upsetting

Louiseknight84

Real Name
Louise
Do you think after he's been to the vets and we have cleared its nothing medical that we should try and introduce another parrot? Iv heard so many horror stories and I would hate to have another bird and cause more distress. I just don't know what to do

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
he's got a big cage with lots of toys and stimulation but he's obviously not happy...it's so upsetting
How much time does he spend in this cage and how much outside of it? Does he fly and how much?

Louiseknight84

Real Name
Louise
We let him out the whole time someone is at home and there is someone home 80% of the day. He has a cage that opens at the top so we just open it and he sits on his perch. He will fly around the house now and then but not very often he is not clipped so has the ability to fly but will often climb around his cage and the base of the cage

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Introducing another parrot may or may not help.

It may cost $600-$800 at least to rule out all medical possibilities... we're talking X-Rays, skin biopsies, feather biopsies and more. Maybe it's an allergy? Maybe he's too sexually ramped up?

Movies can be uploaded to Youtube or Facebook and linked here.

Can you also share a current picture of his cage setup?

❤ Rosette ❤

Meeting neighbors
Rescues are usually in need of fosters. I'm definitely not an expert on bird behavior, but if nothing else seems to be causing the problem, I'd suggest maybe fostering another bird for a bit and seeing how he handles it? (After the vet results and all.)

That way you won't be committed to a bird that he reacts badly to. And if he takes a liking to that particular bird, you can adopt it!

Just be sure to articulate your situation to the rescue so that they know you might not be fostering for long. (Either having to return the bird due to problems or adopting it if your Hahns Macaw fancies a bit of company.)

Just a suggestion. :)

I hope you get to the bottom of his problem!

Louiseknight84

Real Name
Louise
Introducing another parrot may or may not help.

It may cost $600-$800 at least to rule out all medical possibilities... we're talking X-Rays, skin biopsies, feather biopsies and more. Maybe it's an allergy? Maybe he's too sexually ramped up?

Movies can be uploaded to Youtube or Facebook and linked here.

Can you also share a current picture of his cage setup?

This is his cage setup and a picture of him just after he's had a bath
Do you think he has too much in his cage?

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Honestly, it looks like he doesn't have enough to do. Everything is crowded up into the top third of the cage, which makes it cramped. Does he play with those toys? How often does he get new toys? My Hahns needed new toys frequently because she loved chipping wood, which is a natural behavior for them and helps alleviate boredom. Have you tried foraging toys so he has to work for his food a little?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I agree with Mizzely. He needs more diverse perches (wooden dowels like that aren't healthy for his feet!!!) spread throughout his cage and more toys and foraging opportunities.

Personally, I would remove the mop head and hut, and close the top of the cage and lock it. I do not trust in open top cages and believe that they are a hazard in waiting. (have heard more horror stories than I care to - and 1 was more than enough!)

I also find that wider cages are easier to work with, and you could build a gym on the outside of the cage.

You can get an idea of what other people have done in regards to cage setups in this thread.
Post your cage set-ups! | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Here are a few websites with DIY ideas on foraging and enrichment ideas.
Parrot Enrichment
Ideas « Foraging for Parrots
Foraging for Parrots

Have you gotten a vet appointment set up for him?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Here is what my Hahns' cage generally looked like (trying to find more photos)

Gizmo Corner.jpg

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd say he needs a boing and/or playstand outside of his cage. Lots of out-time. My Hahn's were always happier with a buddy, same with my Illiger's, but it did make them more territorial and less into being with me. That's your call. But, IME, Hahn's need a lot of time out of the cage. That's the really key thing.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I don't know too much about Macaws but I do have a self mutilating M2 and I know how frustrating it can be. I know this is really hard to do but try not to stress out too much around him. They will pick up on our emotions and that may stress out your bird further. Don't overly fuss over him either as he can learn to see that as an award for plucking. Best of luck with him and please keep us updated :)

IslandFrances

Moving in
I know it's not the same situation but in my opinion this is a miracle. And it's cheap!
If you can swing it, it may help your bird.

My green cheek had such feather problems. I got him as a baby with great plumage then it seems he got...sick? I had him to the vet 5 times, 4 different vets. Every test, every suggestion. I tried Sunshine Factor, antibiotics, aloe spray, more toys, better toys, took away all his favorite foods and replaced with $pecial kibble,...it was endless. I'm still paying off the bills. They found nothing wrong and nothing worked.

Then I was introduced to a woman named Candi from S.Dakota who gave me the best solution.

-Fill a bucket with warm/tepid water.
-Add plain Epson Salt, I used 2 Tbs per 4 quarts
-Soak up to their neck for 5 minutes. Talk to him and give lots of kisses

Hah! The soaking's the hard part but so worth it. It soothes all their skin at once, even under the wings. It may be controversial but Georgie's feathers improved literally from the first soak and never had the slightest side effect, only a full beautiful set of feathers. No more obsessing by either of us. I no longer need to do it and everything is fine now.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I know it's not the same situation but in my opinion this is a miracle. And it's cheap!
If you can swing it, it may help your bird.

My green cheek had such feather problems. I got him as a baby with great plumage then it seems he got...sick? I had him to the vet 5 times, 4 different vets. Every test, every suggestion. I tried Sunshine Factor, antibiotics, aloe spray, more toys, better toys, took away all his favorite foods and replaced with $pecial kibble,...it was endless. I'm still paying off the bills. They found nothing wrong and nothing worked.

Then I was introduced to a woman named Candi from S.Dakota who gave me the best solution.

-Fill a bucket with warm/tepid water.
-Add plain Epson Salt, I used 2 Tbs per 4 quarts
-Soak up to their neck for 5 minutes. Talk to him and give lots of kisses

Hah! The soaking's the hard part but so worth it. It soothes all their skin at once, even under the wings. It may be controversial but Georgie's feathers improved literally from the first soak and never had the slightest side effect, only a full beautiful set of feathers. No more obsessing by either of us. I no longer need to do it and everything is fine now.

I have heard of Epsom salt treatments for humans. It's been done for hundreds of years. This is the first time I've ever heard of using it in a bird. Interesting and food for thought.

How many baths did you give him and how often before quitting?

IslandFrances

Moving in
I have heard of Epsom salt treatments for humans. It's been done for hundreds of years. This is the first time I've ever heard of using it in a bird. Interesting and food for thought.

How many baths did you give him and how often before quitting?
Initially i soaked him twice a week for about 3 weeks. Each time I would see immediate results..well, after his feathers dried.
Then just once a week for 2 months or so. He never grew to like it but he did get used to it and it got easier over time.