• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please help I've lost my cockatiels trust

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Riley, my female cockatiel used to like me, but I've been so busy these past few days I haven't had time to spend with her. Today I was with her and now she hates me. I'm having such a hard time with her not eating veggies and being so stubborn. She's my first bird I've ever owned and I'm trying my hardest to be the best owner but I guess I'm not good enough. :(

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Just be patient and spend as much time with her as you can speaking softly, sitting beside her, reading out loud, offering treats she will come around if you don't push her.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Why do you say she hates you? How is she acting differently these last few days? How old is she and how long have you had her? Your cockatiel won't hold a grudge just because you've been busy for a few days, so I'm thinking there's more to this story. I'm sure she doesn't hate you, so don't be too hard on yourself!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
try this to get her trust back, in like snack size zip lock bag, put her favorite treats and keep that baggie on you. every time you pass her cage, call her name and put the treat in her dish. this may take a couple of days or couple of weeks, but the effort is worth the results. with Bebe have special little dish hung up beside his favorite perch. that is his 'love you little guy' dish.

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Why do you say she hates you? How is she acting differently these last few days? How old is she and how long have you had her? Your cockatiel won't hold a grudge just because you've been busy for a few days, so I'm thinking there's more to this story. I'm sure she doesn't hate you, so don't be too hard on yourself!
She's 7 months old and I've had her for 5 months. Usually she sits on the top of her cage and chirps when she wants to be let out but when I went to get her and pick her up she got scared and flew back, it's like we are right back to the beginning.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So treat it like you are at the beginning. Start over. You already have the groundwork so it shouldn't take as long.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Treat her like you are starting over like the above posters said start with her fav treats and take a look at this webinar Parrot Digital Media | Online Parrot Media number 8. Training Rescued and Re-Homed Parrots its great and has helped me allot maybe it can help you too :)