• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please don't get mad...

galah!

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pia
I have met 4 'bird people', asking what bird would best suit me and my family (once again, please don't get mad) and every single one of them said that a Galah or Corella would be perfect. But when i come on AA, everyone says the opposite (your all great, just so you know:).

I really would love a Galah, and this is also not going to happen for at least a year. I have tried to get into something smaller and easier all round really, but i just keep coming back to a Galah. I love everything about them. Their playfulness, their cuddliness and also how they are a little more independent than the others. I know they can become phobic and can be really quite loud, but i just feel deeply connected to them.

The first person i spoke to was my Uncle, he has many birds at the Cuddly Animal Farm in The Swan Valley (WA), and said that a Galah would be perfect for me. I've asked him about many breeds, but he always comes back to a Galah.
Then i went to Birds n all, they also recommended a Galah
(they were a store, however).
After them, i met Justin (i referred to him as 'bird man' in earlier posts)
He owned some lories, Eclectus, a king parrot and 2 Caiques.
He told me Caiques were wonderful, but he also said he would love a Galah, however, he's allergic to their dust.
Finally, I went to The bird and fish place (at the foot of Perth Hills) They didn't breed Galahs, so weren't trying to sell me anything. All they said was that Galahs are wonderful, gentle natured, playful birds and make great companions.

I am a minor,I have been looking into a companion bird for at least 2 years so far and have always Loved the Galah, my mum is 2nd owner if anything happens to me, i am currently saving up and reading lots of bird books.
I just want some opinions on all this.
thanks,
Pia:D

Shyra

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
I may not be the right one to give advice here but will offer my opinion anyway. My biggest concern is that you are a minor and have a lot of transitions coming up in your future as to where being a bird owner could be a problem. (College, finding an apartment that allows pets, finding a SO that your bird will accept without attacking :), etc.) It's good that your mother is willing to be there to help you work through these times and issues but keep in mind parrots tend to bond to one person so leaving him/her with your mom for long periods of time may not be the fairest thing to do. That said, keep researching and if a Galah is the bird of your dreams than I say that's the one you should get. I let people talk me out of my dream bird when I first wanted a bird and to this day I regret listening to them. I love the birds I have and am blessed that they chose me but the regret is still there.

One more thought, in doing your research talk to people who have adult galah's and not just people who have younger ones under 5-7 years. It will give you a better idea of what to expect in general from the species. All babies are wonderful and sweet but parrots tend to change a bit once they hit their adult years.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I know little about cockatoos, but I do know they can be loud. How does your mom feel about that?

Very important - please prepare yourself with the knowledge of what to do if the bird develops bad habits, like screaming. I don't know if Gahlas pick at their feathers if they get bored or upset, but that's a real hard behavior to stop. I have a cockatiel that picks, and we cannot get him to stop.

I hope experienced Galah people see this thread.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think if you want a Galah than that is what you should get- someday. And I think that's probably the majority of the people's concerns here is that you're a minor. You are basically taking on a forever two year old. One that will stay 2 for 40? 50? years. You can't really predict what your life is going to be like in the next 5 years or so. Are you going to go away to school? Take a job where you have to move away? Want to actually travel? Do you want to ever sleep in? (It won't happen with a too, trust me. LOL. )All things that make bird ownership hard. And have you spend time with any Galahs? Are there any rescues, etc. near you that you can help at?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have read all your post about getting a bird and if your heart bird is a Too then go for it but ..and this is HUGE but ...be sure your mom knows all the ins and outs before you get one ..she has to be fully on board and I mean fully ..for the screaming (if it happens)...plucking ( if it happens )...vet bills ....bird sitting ...toy bills ..food bills ...she has to be there for you 100% ...because if she isnt then you doing this even 75% by yourself isnt going to work ...your mom has to be in with you ..she needs to come on this forum and talk to everyone here and do her own research to know what she is getting into ...owning a Too or any parrot for that matter isnt easy when your a adult let alone a kid ...Im sure if you guys are in it together you will give a Too a great home but please give your mom the opportunity to come on here and talk to us about doing it so she knows what she is getting into :)

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
No offense, but we typically seek the answers we want to confirm beliefs we already hold dear.

No one is trying to ruin your dreams or dash your hopes or scare you away. You're very young, and although life is always changing and shifting no matter your age, there are times when it is typically much more unstable, uncertain and imbalanced, and that's your youth and early adulthood. And that is part of the magic, wonder and excitement of being young/younger. Don't take that for granted.

A galah may sound like an exciting adventure now, but it will tie you down during a time in your life that, if you allow it, will provide you with more adventure, reward, challenges, accomplishments and lessons than you could ever imagine were possible. Navigating those while caring for a parrot is a challenge. I guarantee that one or the other (your life or your parrot) will suffer because of it. And, really, neither should. You should be experiencing all that growth and life experiences (college if you want that, new friends, romantic relationships, travel, going out, etc.). Your future parrot/any parrot deserves a stable life.

We're all cautioning you because we've all been there -- not because we're self-righteous parrot lovers.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Of all the cockatoos a Galah would be the most adaptable , their not as needy like the white Too's nor as loud,:eek: they have a high pitch. Their a fun comical medium size bird. If you socialize them well, allow them to be part of the family, and not stuck away all alone in a room by themselves, they are perfectly happy to watch all the comings and goings of the family. Should the need arise your mother is willing to take care of the Rosie. I don't see a problem...Go get your Rosie they are fun ! :sadhug2:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Parrots are wonderful but I'm not sure that a young person is mentally ready for what being a parront entails. I got up at 5:30 am to be ready for when George gets up at 6am. I have been sitting in the livingroom since 6am, with George, because every time I walk away from him he screams, and I live in a building, and my neighbors dont like noise. I had the nerve to go for a walk to get away from the stress for half an hour and he was still screaming when I got back. You will have days where you wish you had never gotten a parrot. You will still love your parrot, but there will be days when you want to rip your own head off because you just cant take it anymore. Prepare for poo, feathers, and bird crumbs EVERYWHERE as well as a lot of dust because cuckatoos are dusty birds.

Also keep in mind that the larger the bird the larger the beak and the more painful the bite. Your bird may also become a jerk when in its teenage years, when transitioning to an adult, moulting, in heat, or generally just grumpy.

You are not getting a parrot, the parrot is getting a human. You will be a feather slave.

Also you better be DAMN (pardon my french) sure that you are willing to be excluded from living in certain places, unable to go to certain colleges/universities, unable to bring certain girlfriends home, etc, because your bird runs your existance.

If that sounds ok get the cuckatoo.

I will say this- I helped raise my little cousin. That was 10x less intense and less stressful than George. And he's 9 years old now.

Have you considered starting with maybe a pair of "I dont care if humans exist as long as I'm fed and looked after" birds like zebra finches?

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Pia says Mom is willing to help . So I am assuming this bird will be a family bird. If and when Pia can no longer give bird the proper care This helpless creature deserves Mom will take over...in other words, this said bird will be co-owned. Pia am I correct in saying this in your defense? :blink:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Pia says Mom is willing to help . So I am assuming this bird will be a family bird. If and when Pia can no longer give bird the proper care This helpless creature deserves Mom will take over...in other words, this said bird will be co-owned. Pia am I correct in saying this in your defense? :blink:
Mom is willing to help but I doubt mom has any clue as to the commitment she is making either. And mom is the one who is going to end up with the bird because we all know that when Pia gets in her twenties that her life won't have room for that bird.

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Mom is willing to help but I doubt mom had any clue as to the commitment she is making either. And mom is the one who is going to end up with the bird because we all know that when Pia gets in her twenties that her life won't have room for that bird.
This is true. Mom need to step -up and get involved at the get go.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
"...my mum is 2nd owner if anything happens to me..."

"If," not "and."

This happened with "my"/the family dog we got when I was 15. Mom is a saint who cared for him when I went off to college and worked on the east and west coasts. Dog was a saint and part collie and was truly Lassie-like. Could not have asked for an easier dog who constantly watched us and only worked to fit in and help us when he could.

Mom wasn't thrilled and threatened to take him to the shelter many times DESPITE her love for him. I was overwhelmed with guilt, because Dog loved me most and stopped eating for days after my visits home. (Went to college across the state, worked out of state.)

When I was older and bought my first home, I took him in. He died at the age of 13. I was 29.

Is the hand-off doable? Sure. Will Mom, who loves Child more than Child will ever know, always be willing to help? Of course. Does that make the hand-off ideal for anyone involved? No.

And this was a dog, which is 1,000 times easier than the smallest parrot!

Good luck. I know how you feel. I was that animal-obsessed kid once upon a time.

I still feel incredible guilt over my dog, who only desperately wanted to be with me all of those years I didn't have the home, time or money to have him. He died 7 years ago.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
"...my mum is 2nd owner if anything happens to me..."

"If," not "and."

This happened with "my"/the family dog we got when I was 15. Mom is a saint who cared for him when I went off to college and worked on the east and west coasts. Dog was a saint and part collie and was truly Lassie-like. Could not have asked for an easier dog who constantly watched us and only worked to fit in and help us when he could.

Mom wasn't thrilled and threatened to take him to the shelter many times DESPITE her love for him. I was overwhelmed with guilt, because Dog loved me most and stopped eating for days after my visits home. (Went to college across the state, worked out of state.)

When I was older and bought my first home, I took him in. He died at the age of 13. I was 29.

Is the hand-off doable? Sure. Will Mom, who loves Child more than Child will ever know, always be willing to help? Of course. Does that make the hand-off ideal for anyone involved? No.

And this was a dog, which is 1,000 times easier than the smallest parrot!

Good luck. I know how you feel. I was that animal-obsessed kid once upon a time.

I still feel incredible guilt over my dog, who only desperately wanted to be with me all of those years I didn't have the home, time or money to have him. He died 7 years ago.

You understand very well. Hindsight is always 20/20. If Pia's mom is on board I would like her to read this thread and hear a response. What are the chances of that happening @galah! ?

WeasleyLover

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Pia, I am a minor. I have been owned by birds since I was 10 years old, and adopted my cockatoo when I was almost 13. I don't regret it at all, my birds are my life and I adore them. Most of my time is spent on them. But I get it when the other members here talk about how teens should not get birds, as changes will come soon. I was just talking to my mom the other day about college. I have planned to get my bachelor degree from an online university, home school college. I want to be a lawyer, an animal welfare lawyer to be specific (although I will probably start out doing something else). But when it comes time for me to attend law school, I am more limited. The school I would love to go to is in a different state, but I'm sure I will find something more local. My mom was telling me that I should go out state, and shouldn't let them (my birds) hold me back. But I told her I can't abandon my birds to live in their cages while I'm off in another state. She would look after them, I know she would do her best, but it wouldn't be more than the minimum care. Jester can be aggressive, and hormonal around her, she couldn't handle him without me to take him from her. Grey Bird hates her, she couldn't take him out of his cage. My littles are fast, and have to be monitored. They would be full time caged birds, and that wouldn't be okay. So as far as college, they will hold me back a bit. I won't leave them. If I could go back, would I change anything? Would I have waited until after college? Well......no. I can't imagine the past years of my life without them. Maybe if I only had one or two of them it would be easier. But I wouldn't give up any of them for anything. They have enriched my life in so many ways, and are sometimes the only thing that bring me happiness. They are worth the couple inconveniences. But to others, they may not be.

Just something to think about. You may already have those things planned out, and it may be easier for you. Or, maybe you might decide it is best to wait. With one bird, it might be easier for you to find housing that would let you take him/her, or he/she may get along with your family better than mine. But I just thought I'd share my thoughts with you. :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You're going to do what you want to do, regardless. If you ask enough people, someone will say what you want to hear. Should you have a rosie? I really don't know. Can minors have birds and honor their commitment to them through the trials and changes of growing up, with all the transitions? It's possible but very rare, IME.

I think you and your mom should find someone who keeps rosies and visit multiple times to get a sense of food prep, mess, etc. Research is great, but it doesn't hold a candle to experiencing it.

I hope that, if you get a rosie, it doesn't turn out to be an "I told you so" story; and that the bird is always first in your life. Remember: the bird doesn't make the final decision to live with you. It's life and quality of life is in your hands.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't doubt that one day you will be a superb companion for a bird. Keep learning and educating yourself and getting experience.

At the moment, however, focus on yourself. Work on getting yourself to a place where you can offer a bird a stable, loving home. You will do a lot of growing up over the next decade. You will learn a lot about yourself and what you want your life to look like. You will learn so, so much more about what you're like when you're frustrated or tired or furious or sad. You'll hopefully learn ways of dealing with that.

Go out there and have experiences - go to college, go to parties, move across the country, move across the world, start a band, stay out all night, sleep in all day, meet interesting people, work out what your dream job is, put in crazy hours for it, go for coffee that turn into drinks that turn into dancing that turn into watching the sunrise, see your favourite band live, go on spontaneous holidays or days out or roadtrips... As @MnGuy says, there's a wonder and excitement about not having huge commitments.

A cockatoo will basically be like having a toddler for the rest of its life. Do you feel equipped to deal with a creature that will bite, throw food, poo and shredded toys everywhere, yell, get into your stuff and destroy it, take sudden, strong and potentially inconvenient dislikes to people and things, require expensive toys, food and medical attention, require a large amount of space, and demand time and a regular routine? Remember that it will depend on you for every one of its needs, and if you cannot meet them it will be miserable or become seriously ill.

In ten years time I hope you'll be in a much better place to offer the cockatoo of your dreams a home. You'll hopefully be earning enough to not have to share a place with roommates and with enough space for a huge cage, and to keep a cockatoo supplied with food and toys and care. You'll hopefully have settled down a bit and won't be missing out if you don't go out (much) in the evenings. You'll hopefully have an idea of what you're doing with your life in terms of a career. And most importantly, you'll have developed a more mature sense of patience and calmness. I like to think I was a patient teenager (with animals at least), but as an adult I developed a pretty unflappable ability to just roll with it that has stood me in good stead.

There is seriously no rush. Don't restrict all the opportunities you'll have as a young adult for the gratification of having a bird *now*. Instead, think how much better equipped you'll be as a slightly older adult, both financially and emotionally.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
TKA SAID: I don't doubt that one day you will be a superb companion for a bird. Keep learning and educating yourself and getting experience.

At the moment, however, focus on yourself. Work on getting yourself to a place where you can offer a bird a stable, loving home. You will do a lot of growing up over the next decade. You will learn a lot about yourself and what you want your life to look like. You will learn so, so much more about what you're like when you're frustrated or tired or furious or sad. You'll hopefully learn ways of dealing with that.

Go out there and have experiences - go to college, go to parties (yes but don't do drugs. Trust me. They will ruin your life and make your family suffer) , move across the country, move across the world, start a band, stay out all night, sleep in all day, meet interesting people, work out what your dream job is, put in crazy hours for it, go for coffee that turn into drinks that turn into dancing that turn into watching the sunrise, see your favourite band live, go on spontaneous holidays or days out or roadtrips... As @MnGuy says, there's a wonder and excitement about not having huge commitments.

A cockatoo will basically be like having a toddler for the rest of its life. Do you feel equipped to deal with a creature that will bite, throw food, poo and shredded toys everywhere, yell, get into your stuff and destroy it, take sudden, strong and potentially inconvenient dislikes to people and things, require expensive toys, food and medical attention, require a large amount of space, and demand time and a regular routine? Remember that it will depend on you for every one of its needs, and if you cannot meet them it will be miserable or become seriously ill.

^Exactly

In ten years time I hope you'll be in a much better place to offer the cockatoo of your dreams a home. You'll hopefully be earning enough to not have to share a place with roommates and with enough space for a huge cage, and to keep a cockatoo supplied with food and toys and care. You'll hopefully have settled down a bit and won't be missing out if you don't go out (much) in the evenings. You'll hopefully have an idea of what you're doing with your life in terms of a career. And most importantly, you'll have developed a more mature sense of patience and calmness. I like to think I was a patient teenager (with animals at least), but as an adult I developed a pretty unflappable ability to just roll with it that has stood me in good stead.

^Agree 100%

There is seriously no rush. Don't restrict all the opportunities you'll have as a young adult for the gratification of having a bird *now*. Instead, think how much better equipped you'll be as a slightly older adult, both financially and emotionally.

Yes! I have wanted a parrot since I was 5 years old but I wasn't ready for it. I don't think I was ready for it half way through my twenties when I got George but caring for him has made me grow as a person.

Like I said before, I think that, if you like birds, given your age and situation, you would do well to consider small, non companion birds.

There are stunning finches out there. They are affordable, easier to care for, and won't chain you to them 24/7.

I've been caring for my bird since 6am. It's 7:30pm. I put him to bed half an hour ago. Before I put him to bed I literally got an hour to myself spread throughout the day. The rest of the day was spent emotionally comforting a moulting, sexually frustrated, in heat, grumpy parrot.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I've been caring for my bird since 6am. It's 7:30pm. I put him to bed half an hour ago. Before I put him to bed I literally got an hour to myself spread throughout the day. The rest of the day was spent emotionally comforting a moulting, sexually frustrated, in heat, grumpy parrot.
Wow ! :omg: see Pia what you could be in for !

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
please before you do another blessed thing , go volunteer at rescue both you and your mom. see what kind of a commitment RB2's are.