• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please do your homework first!

ChromeScholar

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dan
I stopped at a big box pet store today to pick up some pond salt and koi food. While there, I walked over to see if they had any nice koi. Didn't see any I liked (and wasn't prepared to take them home if I did, for which I'd need a cooler and a battery powered bubbler.

There was a clerk bagging koi for a man. The man was telling the clerk about how he had lost all but one of his koi, and was buying replacements. The clerk saw me perusing the koi and told me he'd be with me in a minute. I told him not to worry about it, since I didn't see any koi I fell in love with, and I didn't have my fish carrying box with me.

The guy buying koi asks me how big my tank is. "Is it like this one?" He points at a nearby 150 gallon aquarium.

I tell him that I have a 3000 gallon pond, and I'm not in the market for koi, since my fish are breeding right now. This guy then tells me that he has a 37 gallon tank!

A 37 gallon tank for 9 koi! Really!?! Even the clerk looks astonished. We both told him that that tank wasn't big enough for a single full-grown koi. He had no idea how big koi got, because his always died before they got very big.

If he was in my shop (if I had one), I'd have refused to sell him the fish. Being a big box store, the clerk wasn't about to not sell him the fish, even though he knew they'd all die fairly quickly.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's so sad. Unfortunately the only way your words will sink in is after he loses a few more precious dollars. :(