• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Please cross your fingers for Piper!

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Confused :confused: two leads? :excited2:

copswife30

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kathy
I so hope the Third time is the charm, Praying like crazy that this is Piper :hug8::hug8:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Come on Piper!!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:sadhug2:

kaylayuh

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
I'm so sorry this keeps happening to you. :sad11: My heart is hurting for you and Piper.
I am finding it incredibly difficult to understand how so many budgies are being found within the 100 mile radius of where he was lost and not one of them is Piper. I just don't get how people can be so careless with their birds.

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
As of today around 5:30, Piper has officially been missing for two full weeks. I have plastered flyers all over facebook and twitter, emailed vets and pet shops, called animal shelters and wildlife rehabilitation centers. I have posted on CraigsList and ParrotAlert. And I've had the assistance of some fabulous AA-ers in finding a new foster (who is spoiling my babies and making sure they never want to come home with me) and getting out the word about Piper.

It seems that I will likely never get Piper back. And at this point I am wondering if maybe one of the children in the former foster's home didn't maybe try playing with him and end up killing him. I will never forgive myself for allowing someone so irresponsible to care for my birds. And the heartbreak I feel that Piper may be lost, alone, scared, and starving is devastating. I can't imagine how terrified he must be without CB and Pigpen and how hungry he must be without reliable food and water and no foraging skills.

Chewy

Real Name
Erin
I am so sorry that this happened to you. But try not to give up hope. Maybe someone will come up and say they found your bird and it will really be your bird.

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
I am so sorry that this happened to you. But try not to give up hope. Maybe someone will come up and say they found your bird and it will really be your bird.
I really hope so. The best I'm hoping for is that someone found him and he's safe, though. He really is a great little guy and if I had found a bird like him, I would be hesitant to find his owner. Unfortunately, I don't think that's what happened in this case.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I am so sorry. :sadhug: Hopefully, if someone has got your Piper, they are doing all they can to find you and have him back home where he belongs.

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
:sadhug2:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
More than likely, someone has Piper and is caring for him. It would not be first time I have heard of someone finding a bird and rushing straight out to buy a cage. Sadly, they don't always have the moral conscious to return the bird, but in two recent instances where I speak to the Aussie owners on another forum, one had their bird returned after 6 months and another after 3 months. I hope Piper makes it home to you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feather

Avenue Veteran
I lost my beloved tiel, Tekay, in 2008.
Two years later, by pure accident I met a lady at a yard sale who said she had found a cockatiel around the same time I'd lost Tekay. We started talking, and by comparing descriptions of appearance, vocabulary, behavior . . . we both agreed the lost bird and the found one were the same. I wasn't able to get Tekay back as the lady had adopted her out after a couple months, but I was still floored and relieved to hear that the bird I was sure had perished was still alive and well.
I still miss my baby bird and I wish more than anything that I could at least be in contact with whoever is taking care of her now, but the simple truth is that escaped birds can and do find shelter. Don't give up hope.:sadhug2:

kaylayuh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kaela
I got another lead on Piper in the Raleigh area. This is the email I received in response to my email:

Hi Kaela,

I looked over your ad in craigslist before posting mine. The one I found is a different blue (I think), does not talk and is super friendly. He pretty much wouldn't let me leave without him when he was found (I picked him right up after shooing him away twice) and likes to sit on people. Will you describe his special stance to make
sure? I would feel bad if it really were Piper and I can't figure
out anything this one is doing different, but I am not a bird person.

Thanks,
Sally

Unless you're a bird person, you'd likely never notice that Piper has a bit of a hunch due to his liver and kidney issue. He had been stargazing during the worst of the illness and it seems to have over-corrected, and now he appears a bit like the Hunchback of Notre Dame. And unless you spend a lot of time with him, you'd likely never be able to pick up on the words he does say because he sounds like a little garbled robot.

That said, Piper will seek out his people and likes to spend time with them. He just has a bit of an issue with hands grabbing him. So that part of my flyer may have been a little misleading, especially because I'm nearly positive that if he was outside for enough time that he'd want someone to pick him up because people = food and safety to him.

It's been three weeks since Piper went missing as of Thursday. I am cautiously optimistic.

Status
Not open for further replies.