• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Playstand/Gym

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
Have you considered finding a really nice branch and “planting” it in a big pot filled with plaster of Paris?
I made one of those for my cockatiel and Quaker, years ago, and it lasted for many years. My neighbor has it now for his budgie.
The only problems are that the plaster of Paris and terra cotta pot are heavy, and it doesn’t catch all the droppings.
That’s a cool idea! I think the Java tree is going to work well, but I will keep it in mind :).

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Aww that’s so nice of your coworker can’t wait to see pictures

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That’s a cool idea! I think the Java tree is going to work well, but I will keep it in mind :).
Have you checked Wayfair to see if they have any sales going on? I think mine was listed as a parrot or bird play gym.

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
I have no place to put up a play gym so I improvised a serving tray by the window where Bailey has his breakfast and afternoon vegies with a play area. :D
Nice, I love how you improvised! Also, the last two photos of your GCC attacking toy are so cute!!!

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
Sorry to bug everyone. I have the Java Tree play gym. It had been sitting in my coworker's basement for a while. I let it sit in my car for over a day--temps here finally dropped hit so it's been cold. Today I rinsed it with really hot water, scrubbed it down with a white vinegar water mix, rinsed with really hot water, sprayed it down again, rinsed, and dried if off. I'm going to let it sit for a while to dry. Do you think this is enough? I find that I'm more paranoid than ever about keeping Ari safe. Note, I don't have access to a pressure washer (unless I go to a car wash) or steam cleaner. I will post a pic once it's all set up.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I would honestly think that’s fine. Any old droppings should be long long gone. And the important thing when considering disease is to remove poops and dust and secretions from the previous user. That helps with bacteria or fungi and viruses are more fragile.

i suppose hydrogen peroxide would work and would decay to just water and gas. But I’d guess you are ok. Another option would be to bake the tree in your oven, depending on how big it is.

Last edited:

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
I would honestly think that’s fine. Any old droppings should be long long gone. And the important thing when considering disease is to remove poops and dust and secretions from the previous user. That helps with bacteria or fungi and viruses are more fragile.
Thank you. I really appreciate it. I was thinking any concerns would be long gone, and it was near completely clean when I got it. I am so lucky that this coworker just gave it to me at no cost.

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
Here's a quick photo of the java tree. It's a work in progress. It's a bit slippery places, and some parts are big for her. I'm going to use vet wrap to give it more grip and allow her to usethe bigger parts. Maybe rope would work better, but that's harder to keep clean. Hopefully the size will work as it's such a nice tree. I'm also going to add more spots for toys--a couple are tied on for now until I can decide where I want things. Eventually I will get a proper table for it. She flew onto it a few times today for food and treat. She seems to like the height.

Note: The stand is not in its proper place. Moved it for the photo

Attachments

Last edited:

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
That’s a lot like ours. Yes, it’s a bit big for willow but still ok. Perfect for jasper, though!

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
That is nice!! So happy for you! :)

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Here's a quick photo of the java tree. It's a work in progress. It's a bit slippery places, and some parts are big for her. I'm going to use vet wrap to give it more grip and allow her to usethe bigger parts. Maybe rope would work better, but that's harder to keep clean. Hopefully the size will work as it's such a nice tree. I'm also going to add more spots for toys--a couple are tied on for now until I can decide where I want things. Eventually I will get a proper table for it. She flew onto it a few times today for food and treat. She seems to like the height.

Note: The stand is not in its proper place. Moved it for the photo
Brilliant especially for a freebie