• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Playstand/Gym

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Any of those gyms look really nice. The bigger ones are amazing! They look like fun to me. If willow didn’t have a tree I’d want to get one for him. But the tree fits Willow AND Jasper.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Love the idea of a java tree gym, but the cost exceeds my budget. :(
Really easy to make PVC pipe ones fairly cheap or a safe natural branch one for even less if you have a few basic tools and are ok at making things.

If you like the one you posted a link for then get it and just double check the bells, hooks and chain are safe or only use when supervised fully- many places use some questionable chain for smaller birds and bells and hooks seem to be a big thing that gets overlooked for safety- I have seen too many pics of birds totally pierced and hung up on hooks or caught up in the wrong sort of hooks and chain so I am extra careful with those. Also the bells are something you may choose to change or keep a very close eye on.

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
Really easy to make PVC pipe ones fairly cheap or a safe natural branch one for even less if you have a few basic tools and are ok at making things.

If you like the one you posted a link for then get it and just double check the bells, hooks and chain are safe or only use when supervised fully- many places use some questionable chain for smaller birds and bells and hooks seem to be a big thing that gets overlooked for safety- I have seen too many pics of birds totally pierced and hung up on hooks or caught up in the wrong sort of hooks and chain so I am extra careful with those. Also the bells are something you may choose to change or keep a very close eye on.
So true!!!

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann

I am not in the slightest bit good at making something like a play stand. but...I didn't even think of looking online for a PVC one.

The toys on the one from Amazon would be removed.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
If there’s concern about metal chain, the second option has no metal chain. The first only has chain on the swing which could be removed.

the cups and tray are labeled stainless steel.

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
If there’s concern about metal chain, the second option has no metal chain. The first only has chain on the swing which could be removed.

the cups and tray are labeled stainless steel.
Thank you. I think the second is the better option.

I might go with a PVC option on Etsy. Bit out of budget, but it looks really nice.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I have one like that I removed mental chain swing and added a better swing

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Will take a picture in a min

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I have a playgym from penn plax, but it is quite small. Then got a half price deal on a Java tree from Wayfair so I think I paid $40. Their tree has a 16” x24” base and is about 20” high; has lots of branches to fill the whole base.

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
I have a playgym from penn plax, but it is quite small. Then got a half price deal on a Java tree from Wayfair so I think I paid $40. Their tree has a 16” x24” base and is about 20” high; has lots of branches to fill the whole base.
Thanks for the tip. I'm leaning towards the PVC one on Etsy since it has so many places to hang toys (link above). I realized that the one on Amazon does not have as many spots for toys, which is my main gripe with the one I currently have.

Birdie Mama

Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have no place to put up a play gym so I improvised a serving tray by the window where Bailey has his breakfast and afternoon vegies with a play area. :D

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thank you. I think the second is the better option.

I might go with a PVC option on Etsy. Bit out of budget, but it looks really nice.

You should be well happy with that if you get that exact one or another made by Matto- he is one of the AA vendors.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
@Birdie Mama That’s about the size of my birds’ playgym and a bit smaller than the base of their tree. I think that’s fine. Contains the mess and toys and gives the birds a place of their own.

annrip

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ann
You should be well happy with that if you get that exact one or another made by Matto- he is one of the AA vendors.
Thank you! I was talking to a coworker about play gyms, and she has a java tree stand that her bird does not use that she wants to give me.

Prior to my coworker offering the stand I mentioned building a PVC play gym to a friend. She reminded me that her husband is really good at planning and building these sorts of things. So...she might get two new gyms. :laughing2: The reason for getting a new gym is that I want something bigger for her.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Have you considered finding a really nice branch and “planting” it in a big pot filled with plaster of Paris?
I made one of those for my cockatiel and Quaker, years ago, and it lasted for many years. My neighbor has it now for his budgie.
The only problems are that the plaster of Paris and terra cotta pot are heavy, and it doesn’t catch all the droppings.