• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Play areas for small birdies

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
What do you guys have for your small birds, like lovies, budgies and small conures. Currently my room is a mess:D I had an anormous self build tree but they did not really use the whole thing and it was getting a bit unstable, so I tore it down.

Now I do have almost all my Floor space available for a new tree. I now have two chains and a rope on the ceiling to hang things from.

Now I need to find Something I can put on the Floor but Will still allow me to reach the chains to change toys and such, so I would looove to see what kind of things you have for your little guys!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I live in a very small apartment and have a nice large flight cage with a flat top. That top and the ceiling just above it are the play areas. I hung a scarf hanger in a hook an it hangs down to the cage. My budgies love to climb this and sit on the top near the ceiling. Then I place different toys on the top of the cage. Here is a photo of the type of scarf hanger I have. Amazon.com: Mango Spot 2 Set Multifunctional hanger holder for socks,tie,scarf,belt,mufflers and shawl closet organization: Home & Kitchen

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I live in a very small apartment and have a nice large flight cage with a flat top. That top and the ceiling just above it are the play areas. I hung a scarf hanger in a hook an it hangs down to the cage. My budgies love to climb this and sit on the top near the ceiling. Then I place different toys on the top of the cage. Here is a photo of the type of scarf hanger I have. Amazon.com: Mango Spot 2 Set Multifunctional hanger holder for socks,tie,scarf,belt,mufflers and shawl closet organization: Home & Kitchen
Those are awesome aren't they! I have one too:D I had forgotten I had it though, there was no place for it in my previous three! But now there is, thanks for the idea!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That'd be great! Someone who's handy like that could actually maake a better one, in my opinion.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I hope so! I am going to ask my father this weekend, I am pretty sure he Will do it, but not sure when e had time tough!:rolleyes: I am going to put wheels under it as well, so I can move it around easily:)

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I've been drooling over some of these Bird Gyms - Presented by BirdsComfort.com

I have 2 play gyms but not as nice as those. Mine were cheapos from Amazon.
Those look great! I love these! With those prices, it may pay off for anyone who can do woodworking to make these and sell them! I too got mine from Amazon (I'm saving for 2 large flight cages) too and it's a cheapie also. Now I want one of these too!

We use a cargo type net on our window attached to ends of furniture so it creates a bowl like affect near the window they can look out but if they fight and fall (mine do even full flighted), they fall into the bottom of the net, jump up and fly back up. All of it is off the floor to play but it seems my birds like walking a lot now. They waddle through the house and know the layout and because all the doors are bird safe (double double) we have free range of the house. We can call their name and they chirp to let us know where they are, we recognize each voice and know them in our sleep.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Those look great! I love these! With those prices, it may pay off for anyone who can do woodworking to make these and sell them! I too got mine from Amazon (I'm saving for 2 large flight cages) too and it's a cheapie also. Now I want one of these too!

We use a cargo type net on our window attached to ends of furniture so it creates a bowl like affect near the window they can look out but if they fight and fall (mine do even full flighted), they fall into the bottom of the net, jump up and fly back up. All of it is off the floor to play but it seems my birds like walking a lot now. They waddle through the house and know the layout and because all the doors are bird safe (double double) we have free range of the house. We can call their name and they chirp to let us know where they are, we recognize each voice and know them in our sleep.
That sounds soo cool! I don't have my own place so my birds live mostly in my room, which is their cage basically. I would really love such a net, I think I am going to get one soon:D right now I have a kind of net made of cardboard:
image.jpg
They love it, so I imagine they would love a real net even more:D

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
TikiMyn, that looks like HEAVEN!! I spent some $$ making mine!! Your's looks fantastic! It isn't what we see, it's what they see. It isn't what we find attractive that they love, they love busy, messy and trees in nature are not structured man like. It is glorious heaven to us even though it may look like chaos to us.

I love your set up! I would do that everywhere!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
TikiMyn, that looks like HEAVEN!! I spent some $$ making mine!! Your's looks fantastic! It isn't what we see, it's what they see. It isn't what we find attractive that they love, they love busy, messy and trees in nature are not structured man like. It is glorious heaven to us even though it may look like chaos to us.

I love your set up! I would do that everywhere!
Ahw thank you, you honestly made my day! And you are right of course about the messy thing, they looove messy! If I am changing my room it is giant mess, and they just go to the Floor and have the best time of their life:D They love it, they even nap in top of it

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I've been drooling over some of these
Me too!
It is so true about the mess!:laugh:
I have one of these for inside that I put a bunch of ladders and toys on:
Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Cockatiel/Small Parrot Playstand 17-1/2 W x 16-1/2 D x 59 H, Black Hammertone : Birdcages : Pet Supplies
I also have one of these, and even though it's simple, they love it and it comes in very handy:
Amazon.com : Penn Plax Bird Toy Activity Center With Perches, Ladders, Bell, and Rope Large 18.5 Inch Height : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies
My birds spend a lot of time on a table, so I'm thinking of getting another table top one, but something a bit different.
And I have one of these for outside, also decked out with a lot of ropes and toys. They absolutely love it and fight over it:

Zoo-Max bird products manufacturer. PLAYGYM T3005
I'm pretty sure I paid less than that for it somewhere else.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I need to post a picture of myself with lovebirds hanging off of my body, glasses, and hair... :p I’ve bought them play-stands, but they largely ignore those and want to play with/on me instead. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I need to post a picture of myself with lovebirds hanging off of my body, glasses, and hair... :p I’ve bought them play-stands, but they largely ignore those and want to play with/on me instead. :)
:rofl: Actually, this is so true!

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I have one of these Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Small Parrot Playstand 3181 Black Hammertone, 17.625-Inch by 16-1/2-Inch by 59-Inch : Bird Perches : Pet Supplies that I decked out for Chirp. I also just bought a set of those scarf hangers Lady Jane linked to. I took the grate from aforementioned playstand, put a length of plastic chain from each corner up to a bumpy link, and have it hanging from a toggle bolt in the ceiling. I hung a seagrass mat for the bottom of it, using a bumpy link in each corner.

I also make toys and swings and such, so he'll hang out on almost anything I make him. A current favorite is a birdie bagel tube I tied a small seagrass mat to and put some toy parts on.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Me too!
It is so true about the mess!:laugh:
I have one of these for inside that I put a bunch of ladders and toys on:
Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Wrought Iron Cockatiel/Small Parrot Playstand 17-1/2 W x 16-1/2 D x 59 H, Black Hammertone : Birdcages : Pet Supplies
I also have one of these, and even though it's simple, they love it and it comes in very handy:
Amazon.com : Penn Plax Bird Toy Activity Center With Perches, Ladders, Bell, and Rope Large 18.5 Inch Height : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies
My birds spend a lot of time on a table, so I'm thinking of getting another table top one, but something a bit different.
And I have one of these for outside, also decked out with a lot of ropes and toys. They absolutely love it and fight over it:

Zoo-Max bird products manufacturer. PLAYGYM T3005
I'm pretty sure I paid less than that for it somewhere else.
Oo these are really cool as well! So Many optioneel arg:roflmao:
:coffeescreen:

I have one of these Amazon.com : Prevue Pet Products Small Parrot Playstand 3181 Black Hammertone, 17.625-Inch by 16-1/2-Inch by 59-Inch : Bird Perches : Pet Supplies that I decked out for Chirp. I also just bought a set of those scarf hangers Lady Jane linked to. I took the grate from aforementioned playstand, put a length of plastic chain from each corner up to a bumpy link, and have it hanging from a toggle bolt in the ceiling. I hung a seagrass mat for the bottom of it, using a bumpy link in each corner.

I also make toys and swings and such, so he'll hang out on almost anything I make him. A current favorite is a birdie bagel tube I tied a small seagrass mat to and put some toy parts on.
That gave me a bunch of ideas, thanks you! It all sounds like so much fun, I am overflowing with ideas right now:D

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Oh man taxidermynerd, I like your toys! I'd buy them so you can get make some extra $$!!!. Great stuff! Also, the host of this forum has the vendor link and I'm sooooo happy I don't have to hunt around! Mizzly makes adorable creations, I can't wait to buy a bunch too! I've almost got the indoor flight cage $ so then I can get more toys!! I can't stand it!!! I want a perfect bird room too!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Have you read through the whole show your cage/bird room setup yet? All those beautiful bird rooms really made my mouth drop:D I love it how everyone here is so dedicated to their birdies, I have yet to meet Anyone in my country(sure they are here! Just hiding:rofl:) who does care for their birds like that:rolleyes:

zvezdast

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
In my experience, the little flighted birds have very little interest in staying on such small play-gyms. They are too busy for that.

Several years ago I made one exactly like one of those table top gyms, same size and layout as what was in a local store. My lovebird would stay on it few minutes and then fly to explore around the house. The gym ended up as a potty.
Now I have a simpler version 2.0, with just one hanging toy that she adores. It is used solely to transport her into the cage when she doesn't want to go on her own.

To keep them interested, I think they would need several of those throughout the room, where they can fly between them.

Mine would rather endlessly attempt to open the kitchen cabinets and throw things off the table tops.