• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Plant suggestions

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Hi knowledgeable avian avenue folks!

I removed my indoor plants to the veranda when I got Flynn, because I had read that those particular plants can be toxic to budgies.

I'd really like to add some plants to the room Flynn uses- he has free reign in that room and would be able to access them.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some hardy budgie safe indoor plants? Preferably ones that are reasonably low care!!!

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Spider plants, aloe, asparagus fern, peperomia, rubber plants, bromeliads, ponytail palm, begonias, schefflera, and the dracaena family are all hardy plants that are generally touted as safe for birds. :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I put a live lilly pilly in my finches home. They loved playing in the branches. Then one day they decided they needed to pick all of the leaves off and build a nest in their pellet dish. So now the tree is naked LOL 100%

I know they aren't budgies I just thought it was cute and hilarious.

I should add they are boyfriends in love. Too sweet.

Last edited:

Yoshi&Raphi

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I put a live lilly pilly in my finches home. They loved playing in the branches. Then one day they decided they needed to pick all of the leaves off and build a nest in their pellet dish. So now the tree is naked LOL 100%

:heart::heart: Two boyfriends that is the sweetest thing ever. :hug8:

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie

So sweet!!!!

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pony tail palm was one I've been thinking about trying to get, I just think they are neat looking. Also hens & chickens if you like cactus.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
My birds love my wandering jew plant. Weird name, I know, but they really like breaking off pieces of it, which you can then sprout to grow more.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My birds love my wandering jew plant. Weird name, I know, but they really like breaking off pieces of it, which you can then sprout to grow more.
That's another one I'm thinking about getting. They have such a pretty color!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I will have a look for it! I'm making a list of bird safe plants and I'll go to the nursery on the weekend. Can't wait to have some greenery inside!