• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus white capped or Senegal parrot?

Titti

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Titti
Hi everyone, excuse my bad english. I am italian but i follow your treads.
I can't decide between Pionus white capped or Senegal Parrot and so i need your help trought tour personal experiences.
I have a crazy phyrrhura perlata male that bites hardly whit blow, always becouse he has ever been very moody, he is 4 years old, i have also a bolbhorinchus lineola male, 1 years old, that bites sometimes because he has a strong personality.
Only linnie is cuddly (not always instead) but i deside a cuddly and quite parrot, not moody and not biter.
From studi of species i have dead that Pionus or Senegal can be best choice.
What you suggest to me?
And in regard the sex male or remake to join in my clock family?
Excuse my bad english please.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome your English is fine

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome! You're English is very good. I don't have experience with either type of bird but I'm sure others will answer soon.

@iamwhoiam ?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Sorry, I don't have experience with those types of birds either, but welcome to AA!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Welcome to AA. I have no experience with Pionus but I do have a wonderful Senegal. In fact I've had him since he was 3 months old and he just turned 31 in January. He's a mellow guy, generally friendly, loves to swing, whistles and talks. He's not loud at all. He enjoys being petted and handled. He's been a favorite with friends and family because of his personality. Every now and then he doesn't want to be bothered but that is very infrequent. Go to breeders or rescues and check out different birds and see which one you connect with and which one connects with you.

Titti

Real Name
Titti
Thanks for your answers. My english is not so clear.
I would a bird that loves be petted. Beetween Pionus and Senegal what is the parrot more cuddly (and no biter)?

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
No biter? LOL! Every parrot bite! :D
And to answer your Q, I would say that it's individual.

Titti

Real Name
Titti
I know Parrot bites:) but not like mine with blow:(

Titti

Real Name
Titti
My phirrhura had ever bited just he arrives in my home at 4 months (now ha is 4 Yeats old) ne bites hardly whith no matter and he is crazy and moody And don't like be petted.
Last year i had a linnie who is docile but he has a strong temperament and one moment wants be petted and other moment bites because don't want be handled.

Titti

Real Name
Titti
Who answer my trouble if is more cuddle Pionus white capped or Senegal Parrot to join my flock family?:hug8:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Who answer my trouble if is more cuddle Pionus white capped or Senegal Parrot to join my flock family?:hug8:
But I did answer you that.

Titti

Real Name
Titti
Yes and i thank you that answe me but i'd like dead some experience

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Ask yourself what kind of bird you want instead.
A Poi and a Pi is very different from each other. And they can both be cuddly or not.

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've only had my bronze wing pionus for two months so really cannot advise - pionus are known for being somewhat reserved while they make their minds up about whether they like you or not! So far she's playful and enjoys swinging on and shredding her toys. She's more of a fan of ambient attention - she likes perching on her playstand next to me when I work, and she's started to sit on my knee when I'm at the computer. She wants to be near me but doesn't need or want my attention all of the time which is exactly what I wanted.

She adores headscratches and even wants me to gently scratch over her eyelids; she doesn't like being touched on other parts of her body. We're still working on her stepping up but she's great at target training so it's not hard to get her to move around. If she doesn't want to be touched she'll beak me but not bite.

She's pretty quiet and gentle but certainly not a cuddler. This may change over time though.

birdfamiliar

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sara
Both Senegals and Pionus bite.
Both Senegals and Pionus cuddle.
They are similar.
Females are more subdued, typically.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
A Pionus may or may not bite and may or may not be cuddly. Same goes for a Senegal. My Senegal is not a biter but that doesn't mean a different Senegal will not bite. It's difficult to generalize about birds even though there are lists of "typical" characteristics of different species. Each bird is an individual. Best to visit with some birds.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I've had 4 Maxi Pionus so far, they all would bite, though 3 of them did not bite unless scared or hurt. Lurch was a used Parrot with a lot of baggage and was scared to death and mad at the world. He would bite with out warning but after a mere 5 years he had mostly decided I was his chosen one and loved me in his own grumpy way. Nerd loved me but really like just hanging out by me, getting treats, and scritches. Dobby is hyper and a gentle soul, he has chosen my sister but likes just about anyone and biting is the last tool in his box. Nerd was probably the closest to cuddly of all of them, but none of them were cuddle monsters but really liked their chosen one and would show their love in their own way. All of them were different with their own personalities, but had similarities.
Nerd was with me for 31 years and we basically grew up together so whatever you choose be prepared to be in it for the long haul with some luck. Obviously I like Pionus parrots and Maxi's in particular but you have to choose the best fit for you.

Titti

Real Name
Titti
:heart:
Thanks for your answers.
About your experiences pionus is not too cuddly, don't love be petted.
Also Senegal in general don't love be petted?
Is there difference between male or female?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Pionus tend to love head and neck scratches, and hanging out with you close by. I like to call them feathered cats. They just don't tend to like having their backs or anything else petted or touched but that will vary by individual and the trust they have in you. Nerd I could pick up, flip on his back and finger wrestling with him but he had complete trust in me. Lurch liked and requested head scratches from me and loved to ride on my shoulder. Dobby likes to chew and get into things, flies after my sister and tries to woo her hand and request scratches. They all happily beg for and usually gently accept high value treats. They love to attack toys and ring bells, sometimes just because it gets our attention.
So it depends on the bird and what your trying to pet, they have their dignity and some things are great, some are no no's.
You probably should go meet and interact with the birds that interest you and see which one fits with you and chooses you.

Reactions: tka