• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailsoflove

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Dawn
I remember reading somewhere that you should elimate or limit pellets in a Pionus' diet and that they need a low fat/protien diet. Does anyone know where to find this information as I would like to pass it along to an avian friend. I know I read it somewhere and that is why I only give my Pi a pellet per day along with lots of other healthy, low fat options. She gets some nuts (about 3/4 a day) and now I'm thinking this might be too much for her. Perhaps limiting her nuts (almonds/cashews) to only 1-2 per day? She doesn't eat seed at all so I'm good there. Her absolute favorite is dried chili pepper and freeze dried peas. She also enjoys a variety of freeze dried fruit and especially loves pineapple!! She also gets her fresh food which is a mix of veggies, beans, whole grains. Thanks!

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think, if your bird is healthy and at a good weight, that it is more important to focus on variety and breadth of nutrients than on a specific micronutrient breakdown (% carbs, protein or fat). I read that in the wild pionus eat 70% seed (likely part sprouted), 20% flowers, with the remainder being corn and fruits. I focus on feeding my pi a huge variety of foods, and no junk food. She doesn't eat very much of any one thing-- some vegetables, some grains, a bit of beans, sprouts once a day, a tablespoon of seeds, a couple nuts, a few berries, a bite of scrambled egg for a treat, etc. What we should be feeding our birds in captivity is still very much uncertain, so we can just do our best. And try to make sure our birds get adequate exercise :)

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Pionus are prone to gout and liver problems so they require a low fat and low protein diet. Pellets can be fed but in moderation. I gave my guys mostly veggies and sprouted seeds. I tried to use a lot of dehydrated veggies and dehydrated fruit in their dry mix. Sometimes I would add natural cereals and dry pasta.

tailsoflove

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Dawn
Thanks! I figured she was on a pretty good diet, but just wasn't sure where I had read/heard about the limited pellets in their diets. And very true Ellen;"What we should be feeding our birds in captivity is still very much uncertain, so we can just do our best".. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.