• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus afraid of a little boy

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi, I had Ernie Pi on my shoulder yesterday during a piano lesson. He seemed fine, and the boy would stop and say "what do you think, Ernie?" LOL all went well...

Then I was chatting with the grandmother and the boy (11, boundless energy) was telling us something and raised his arm. Ernie began to hyperventilate. I talked to him soothingly and he got over it.

Then as they left the boy stepped near me telling me something and he did it again. The grandmother instantly got it: she said he's afraid of him, do you think he's been hurt by a little boy?

The kid got upset by that and wanted to help Ernie so I said he liked the lesson, we can just let him watch some more.

Do you think he really has been hurt by a kid? Or perhaps it's this kid's energy level that's getting to him? It really scared me, I thought he was dying the first time. This was not the Pi wheeze, it was full-out breathing trouble.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
The grandmother instantly got it: she said he's afraid of him, do you think he's been hurt by a little boy?
She was correct. Ernie was terrified of him. Be very carefully when he shows signs of hyperventilate, he can freak out so much so he fly against furniture's and windows and hurt himself.
He can be hurt by a little boy earlier, but it can also had reminded him of another scary thing. Like you say, his hand up, and his energy. Also his voice can matter.

When Eliys came to me she showed the same. (and she was both physically and mentally beaten up before)
It was horrible to see, and she did freak out when I did something familiar that she had a bad experience of.

The best thing you can do if it happens again is to remove yourself with Ernie on your shoulder as fast as possible without to scare him more.
Then he will realize that he can trust you even in situations like this. He will feel safe on your shoulder and later he will understand that nothing bad ever will happen to him a again if he just stay with you.
It really scared me, I thought he was dying the first time.
You can really see and feel their panic, and it did break my heart a little the first time Eliy did that, because then I realize what they have done to her.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you @Eloy ! I will be more careful. In the past I put him in the office when someone was coming, I've just now begun to keep him out around visitors.
It is very sad. :(

But --today he let me put the harness on him, and we walked outside in the yard!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
In the past I put him in the office when someone was coming, I've just now begun to keep him out around visitors.
That isn't bad. :) It's good for him to be socialized. But be careful so he don't be so terrified again.
I always think that it's a good idea to train the things they fear too. I have done that with Eliy and now she is often very confident with that things that she first feared.

But --today he let me put the harness on him, and we walked outside in the yard!
That sounded nice, congrats! ♥

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My pionus is VERY scared of men. I'm certain a man in his past did something unkind to Leto. He doesn't like strangers in general.

But Leto loves red heads. I have red hair and he allows my mom to feed him etc and she's a red head. And a neighbor girl came over the other day because her gramma told her i had a bird. She was begging me to hold Leto. I was hesitant because of her loud voice and fast movements and she was only 6 or 7 ish. But she has red hair. I talked to her for a while while i was holding Leto. Told her the rules. When I told him to step up... He did. He was leaning toward me, but he allowed a little kid to hold him. I just had to curb her enthusiasm.

I think of your bird was harmed, he can very slowly bring Ernie out of his shell. But I also think we must educate the people we allow around or parrots.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Aubrey that's a really good point.

Last time that little boy came, the grandfather brought him. Neither one noticed when Ernie started hyperventilating, but they were leaving so I sort of pushed them on out the door. I think I can educate the boy. He really wants to be friends with the birds.He's never had any pets so he doesn't know how to be with them.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Aubrey that's a really good point.

Last time that little boy came, the grandfather brought him. Neither one noticed when Ernie started hyperventilating, but they were leaving so I sort of pushed them on out the door. I think I can educate the boy. He really wants to be friends with the birds.He's never had any pets so he doesn't know how to be with them.
YES! Children are sponges! If they have interest and desire I think it's wonderful to teach them about birds (all animals for that matter). If they don't have pets they really have zero clue how to act around dogs let alone parrots. I'm sure you'd empower that child if he could become friendly (eventually) with Ernie! :goodluck:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
He may just not be used to kids. And yes the busy-ness, loudness and swinging arms all play into it. It may be energy he's not used to.
Mine aren't used to small kids and look at them with curiosity and maybe some nervousness when they see them. Kids have to be reminded not to run near them and to keep their voices down (may be different for more boisterous birds like cockatoos, caiques, Amazons, etc).