• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pinkies story

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Pinkie is lucky to be alive. The reason I'm posting this is because I would like to know if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Supergirl is Pinkies mum. Pinkie also has 2 other siblings.

Supergirl was sat on her clutch. During the time she was sitting I saw Honey have a flutter with her. .naughty but natural.

Supergirl started to feed once the eggs hatched. Im always careful not to scare off the hen and Supergirl was very nervous so I left the checking about a week at the most. This first check showed 3 hatchlings. .1 being very pink, hence the name Pinkie. Pinkie was bald but the other 2 had some feathers coming.
At 20 days the other 2 fledged but Pinkie was not ready. She kept calling to Supergirl but mum didnt come. While I was watching Pinkie took a leap of faith..omg..I had to rescue her as she was wobbling hopelessly on a branch. I popped her down on the cage floor (the cage is waste height). She was terribly young. I worked out from my records that Pinkie was 11 days old I didnt think she'd make it but mum found her and fed her and she has survived.

To this day Pinkie still looks 1/3 smaller than her siblings and bald around her bum. Will these feathers ever appear or is it because she hatched so late and the 20180715_191628-1.jpg 20180514_195606.jpg 20180517_133548.jpg different things just wasnt on her side. We are all attached to Pinkie but wonder if her life will be shorter than the others. She seems very well in herself.
1st pic of Pinkie now and the rest as she grew stronger. She looked very odd. 20180521_134037(0).jpg 20180525_162422.jpg

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm afraid I don't know very much about canaries but wanted to say that Pinkie is super cute!

sheeluhwhet

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Gemma
What a trooper!
I wish ai could help, bad I don't know mucj either. Though I have a thought, do you think her skin color might be an indicator that also has something to do with her bald spots?

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
Pinky is adorable..........I love little underdog stories. That picture where she is on the ground in her pen, she looks like a baby chick, LOL. She is as cute as she can be. Hopefully she will have a nice long life, even with her "slow start".

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Im wondering if the baldness here and there is a combination of whats happened. .. sadly under nourished by her mum. I took a picture of her flying today..a new challenge of mine... her baldness is improving but still patchy as you can see on the wing, me and Pinkie are still working on it Pinkie.png

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Just wanted to say how beautiful they are! Pinkie is a little doll! :heart:

Clairecanary15

Real Name
Claire
Thank you she is quite confident with me now too. She sees me coming and she brings her little mini self over to see what goodies I have for her. She is just the same but miniature. As you can see she gets on well with the others and readily accepted