• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pinecones? What Can I do With Them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
In the old days we used very large pine cones as a weather warning.
They sat on the windowsill and if the cone was tightly closed it meant rain, open then fine weather, and they were never wrong!
Can't wait to try them out on the birds, may find time to collect some tomorrow.:hug8:

B

Beatriz Cazeneuve

Beatrice, why do you keep them in the frig? I've only used ones I've bought or were give to me already dried. Is there any harm to letting them stand out of the frig?
Because the little scales open up when it's warm and, by keeping them in the fridge, they stay close until I put them out for the birds and, this way, they don't loose the seeds inside.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks Beatrice. :)

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
This is still on my to do list. Weather much too wet to venture out to collect them!

M

M.C Bird Rescue

PINE CONES
Pine cones make excellent toys for birds. When collecting pine cones, ensure that they are not old, damp, moldy or are growing moss. Ideally one should collect pine cones as soon as possible after they have fallen to the ground and before they have become wet from rain. This is not always possible. Pine cones are also a favorite hiding spot for little beasts such as spiders and earwigs.
It is not possible to "sterilize" pine cones but heating in an oven will kill molds and little critters and make them safe for the birds to chew on. I heat pine cones in an oven for about 20 minutes at 225 degrees F, then turn off the oven. The pine cones are left in the oven for approx. 2 hours to dry out. It is important not to exceed 225 degrees F. otherwise the pine cones will scorch and possibly catch on fire.
The seeds inside the cones are a special treat and are safe for the birds to eat.

I only heat mine to 225, i wouldnt want to scotch the yummy seeds for the fids! I also sometimes add treats to them and wrap them in paper...I am a foraging freak..anything for the fids.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Birdman, I give my Cockatiels 2 every day and they absolutely love them. I put fruit, millet, seeds, pellets and veggies in theirs and by the end of the day they're both empty. They're excellent for foraging. :)

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
Thanks for all of the ideas everyone. I have been stuffing them with goodies, and I have been rolling them in peanut butter and pellets. Kiwi loves them both ways! Sugar hasn't tried one yet but I will give her one today I think! :)

And thanks for the baking instructions, Crystal! The ones I received were already baked and clean so this is great if I pick up a few around here though that's likely. Not many in my neck of the woods. :)

janejacinto

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane Jacinto
Have cleaned them myself and it is a pain in the butt, not to mention the mess. Order them now from:
Premium Pine Cones - 100 Med/Large approx. 3.5" - 5"
They are the greatest and the birds love them, all of them, Cockatiel, Goffin's Cockatoo, Congo Grey, Caique. When I get the family over we do a stuffing table and them I will bag them up for later. We stuff with everything from millet to pellets, have not done the peanut butter. Have hung them and just set them around the cage. They go over very big.
Jane

identicaltriplets

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patter
Jane, that looks like a great site! I may try them since I really can't get pinecones around here! Thanks!

And what do y'all use to hang your pinecones? A picture would be great if you have one. :D

janejacinto

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane Jacinto
That is what I use to hang almost all of the things in the cages here. Use some of the little ones also. They are much safer than than those pear hooks, the birds here unscrew those here and I worry about that. Have heard some really bad stories with the other hooks. Have never had a problem with these.
Jane

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
:omg: I just ordered 100 of them, thank you so much for that link:cloud9:

Status
Not open for further replies.