• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pine shaving impaction in baby sun conure

wreckage

Moving in
Hello! I have been hand feeding birds for 3 years now. Today I noticed that my chick has somehow consumed a piece of pine shaving. I don't have any exotic vets in my area and no one wants to work on him.

I can't just not do nothing. I have been considering two options: sucking it out or mixing a digestive enzyme in his formula. I was wondering what would be the best course of action here.

I feel that the second option is safer since he is still able to digest his formula. What should I even buy?? I'm in the USA. I read this from a medical journal but it didn't even give one option. It has to have cellulase to break down the cellulose in the pine shaving. Is the one I screenshotted safe? It’s one day delivery so it should be here today.

I've ordered a syringe (gavage) as well as rubber ones (not pictured).

Would it be possible to suck it out? My plan is to feed warm pedialtye and hopefully get it stuck on the tip of the tube, I wouldn't suck with no liquid in the crop to prevent issues, or should I???

I would also like to add that the little piece in there seems to not be large enough to pass, but is soft that I can fold it in half as it is in the crop and it slowly works itself back to flat.

As for the formula, I feed at 106-107°F every time. I have him in a tub with a temperature regulated heat mat 90°F and a heat lamp from above to maintain a steady temperature of 93°F. He does not have feathers yet (3-4 weeks old). If I make the formula at the normal consistency it won't drain as quick as it should, I have to make the formula more watery and his crop drains by the fourth hour.

I’m more than well aware that hand raising is looked down upon and such, but I’m not here to discuss that. I see it brought up in almost every thread that mentions an unweaned bird. I’m just looking for potential solutions.

Thank you IMG_4496.jpeg IMG_4505.jpeg IMG_4499.png IMG_4506.jpeg

wreckage

Moving in
IMG_4509.png
im thinking about ordering this one as its same day delivery and safe for dogs and cats ..?

wreckage

Moving in
View attachment 441140
im thinking about ordering this one as its same day delivery and safe for dogs and cats ..?
Ingredients:

Maltodextrin, Calcium Carbonate, Natural Flavoring, Calcium Sulfate, Fructooligosaccharides, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Rhizopus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum Fermentation Product, Papaya, Dried Bacillus coagulans Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Silica Aerogel.

orphansparrow

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. This is scary. Where do you live?

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
This is formulated for birds and contains cellulase. And is from a reputable company.

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
This one I have actually been given by a vet before with directions to mix into handfeeding formula. Not for this specific problem, though. But it contains cellulase.

wreckage

Moving in
This one I have actually been given by a vet before with directions to mix into handfeeding formula. Not for this specific problem, though. But it contains cellulase.
Yes!! I saw that one actually. I have that one ordered but it arrives tomorrow. I was hoping one of the ones that are same day would have been safe, but I’ll hold out on and wait for this one to come tomorrow. The vetafarm I wouldn’t get until the 29th :/

wreckage

Moving in
I have the prozyme, what did your vet recommend for the ratio of powder to formula ? Thank you

Matto

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
I have the prozyme, what did your vet recommend for the ratio of powder to formula ? Thank you
Sorry, this was years ago, I don't remember.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yay! Glad the little one is doing better!