1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Pigeon wounded by cat

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by greenytijana, 8/13/18.

1. greenytijana

greenytijana Walking the driveway

Tiana
    The pigeon is fine so far! It has moved to snuggle up against the heater.
    Don't worry, I brought the bird inside for the night. Don't want any cats getting at it again! I left it on the porch during the day because it was warmer outside, the AC was blasting. I made sure it didn't overheat, though. Will be doing the same today.

I'll be trying that today. I'm not in high hopes but who knows.

Sorry about that last response, I just blurted it out before knocking out for the night. I didn't realize providing in-detail information would be very useful. I'm not trying to chastise anyone either. I'm not very good with words, and adding a language barrier and stress to that mix doesn't end well.

My mother has a PhD in chemistry/technology and knows her way around medicine(especially corticosteroids as I'm frequently on them), but I still did research before using the solution on the pigeon because birds have fragile systems, etc.

Here are the websites I pulled info from:

https://www.alims.gov.rs/ciril/files/lekovi/pil/515-01-5919-12-001.pdf
    This is the information for the product used. I can translate for you if you're interested, since Google Translate stinks when it comes to Slavic languages.
    But the most important info: It's an ophtalamic solution(thought eye-dropper meant it was for eyes but apparently not) of neomycin-sulfate(3mg/ml) and dexamethasone (1mg/ml). The whole bottle has 10ml.

Neomycin-sulfate, an antibiotic, is the primary ingredient of Neosporin as well as this solution. Because of the dexamethasone the solution isn't supposed to be used in case of a fungal or viral infection, but because the danger is pasteurella bacteria from feline saliva we used it.

Bird veterinary drugs and dosages
    Drug dosage for birds. Says 1mg/kg of Dexamethasone for IV administration and no longer than 48 hours. This means that's the amount a bird can take injected into its bloodstream. I was a bit iffy on this seeing the solution's concentration, but my mother said topical application is very different, as only a little bit could possibly enter the bloodstream. We used only a drop to a few drops on each wound, definitely not the full bottle.

I also found info that higher doses can be used in case of trauma/shock, but only for a short time(no more than 24h) I don't remember where I found it though.
    We used neo/dex only as an emergency measure, not something we would use repeatedly.

I googled dexamethasone overdose as well, just to be safe. Corticosteroid overdose can be ugly, but the form of the corticosteroid used is important. The most common serious overdoses come from pills and injections. Though from what I've seen Dexamethasone overdose isn't expected to be deadly, especially if it was topical application.

Though what I didn't do and should've done is weigh the bird to find the exact dose needed. Even so, I don't think the amount we gave it could hurt.

http://www.homingpigeon.com/article/Dosage.html
    Drug dosage for pigeons. Doesn't have any info on neomycin or dexamethason, but I thought it could be useful to share if anyone wants to bookmark it.

20180814_124256.jpg
    The little one this morning. Right now I'm feeding it my birds' seed mix, but later I'll go out to find some actual pigeon feed, and Neosporin, if nobody wants to take it in.

Last edited: 8/14/18
    Tiel Feathers likes this.
  2. Feathered up

Feathered up Sprinting down the street

Jamie
    You are doing a great job! And your mother is correct. Topical administration is different. (They do preen though) and ophthalmic preparations are designed to be absorbed topically. But you’ve been very careful and it seems like he is responding well to your care. Sounds like he appreciates your efforts!

Wow, you took my “detail “ comment to the next level! Lol. Thank you for being so thorough. There are lots of people, even in the US, that don’t have access to vets that will see birds or vets that refuse to see certain types and they don’t have any knowledge about drugs or how to calculate doses. All that detail may help another person who’s trying to do all they can.

Tiel Feathers likes this.
  3. greenytijana

Tiana
    A biologist friend pointed me to a vet who offered to examine the pigeon! I'm going to get food now, but I'll call afterwards and see when they can see the lil' bird. :)

4. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Suburb of Chicago.Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
    Sandra
    Good luck to both of you - keeping my fingers crossed for your pidge. :hug8:

5. Donna turner

Donna turner Jogging around the block

Donna
    Cudos to you for helping this bird. One thing no one has mentioned about steroids is that they suppress the immune system. Not exactly what you want when infection is a potential

Hankmacaw and SandraK like this.
  6. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Glad hes getting checked, Thank you again.

7. greenytijana

Tiana
    Dexamethasone - the corticosteroid - is a secondary component to Neomycin-sulfate, which is an antibiotic. That's why it's important to know neo/dex is only used for bacterial infections. Dex reduces pain and inflammation while Neo battles the microbes.

And thank you everyone for support :hug8:

Update: Pidge is squirming around quite a bit! On one hand that's great, on the other I dunno what to do with him if he wants out. I could re-assemble a cage/aviary I had for another rescue pigeon but he's hurt and it gets cold out in the night.

Last edited: 8/14/18
    BeanieofJustice and SandraK like this.
  8. greenytijana

Tiana
    Pigeon has been seen by a vet. Got some antibiotics prescribed, will probably be alright as far as the cat bites go. They're not so sure about the leg though, it seems some ligaments have been torn. :(

SandraK, rockybird, iamwhoiam and 2 others like this.
  9. Birdbabe

Birdbabe Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Good he got the antibiotic,,torn ligaments will heal, he will need cage rest( much to his dismay) for about a month.. just keep doing what your doing

10. SandraK

SandraK Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Suburb of Chicago.Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
    Sandra
    Would it be possible to cover the cage with a blanket at night or maybe move the cage inside overnight? I'm glad that it sounds like he's going to be okay. Thank you for helping him.

11. greenytijana

Tiana
    Sad news everybody... the pigeon passed away. He was very lively this morning, but my mom told me she found him dead. It was literally an hour or two after I last checked on him... That's birds for you I guess. :(

Even though I knew him for only few days, I already miss him... Strange how these things can grow on you so quickly.

SandraK likes this.
  12. expressmailtome

expressmailtome Ripping up the road Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Matthew
    I am sorry.

13. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    Oh no, I’m so very sorry. :( Thank you so much for trying to help this poor bird.
    :sadhug2:

14. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

So sorry. Thank you for trying to help.

15. Birdbabe

I'm sorry, you did your best.

16. Feathered up

Feathered up Sprinting down the street

Jamie
    You did all you could. So sorry to hear he didn’t make it. :sadhug2:

SandraK likes this.
  17. Dartman

Dartman Biking along the boulevard Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Terry
    I'm so sorry, those cat bites can get them just when you think everything's going OK:sadhug:

18. rocky'smom

rocky'smom Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

laurie
    So sorry for your loss thank you for trying to help him.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)