• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Pigeon Paramyxrovirus?

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
Pigeon Paramyxovirus?

I will give updates on the other two later, but I do have a bit of a situation at the moment.

My mom was doing some yard work with my grandmother this morning, and, if I understood correctly, they found this wild pigeon in the yard acting funny. I'm still trying to get ahold of her to figure out if they saw it get attacked or anything like that.

I can't find any visible wounds, no blood, nothing.

It's laying on its side and just trying to rotate its head. When I picked it up to inspect it, it just kept rotating its head in a circle. It also does not appear to be able to stand up, but it can use its wings.

I did some looking around, and I think it may have Paramyxovirus? Does anyone know a lot about pigeons?

I've got it isolated and am being very strict about going in the room without taking precautions, as usual. I don't want my other babies getting a disease.

I'm willing to help it, but I just would like others' input on what they think it is until I can get it to a vet.

I read that if I left it to a rehab center or vet office it would likely be euthanized because they don't have the space to isolate it from others? I really don't want it to just be killed without even being given a chance...

Just so you all know, this is the container they brought him in. He's in a large cage, now, with towel flooring and a heat pad underneath for some warmth.

IMAG0029.jpg

Last edited:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
IDK, but please be very very careful with your birds.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
IDK, but please be very very careful with your birds.
I am! Disinfecting myself everytime, showering, and changing clothes.

If it does have Paramyxovirus, it's spread through fecal matter, but who's to say it wasn't rolling in its poo?

It's eaten by far. I took a video of it, will upload later. It can't eat on it's own, I have to help it.

If it is Paramyxovirus, it should take around 6 weeks to recover but could end up neurologically damaged, thus potentially unfit for release. We'll have to see how it turns out. If it makes it through this I'll be giving it a vaccine for the virus so it doesn't occur again.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
also could be heat stroke..or even having been attacked by an animal of some kind..be very careful..thanks for trying to help the poor thing.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
also could be heat stroke..or even having been attacked by an animal of some kind..be very careful..thanks for trying to help the poor thing.
Possibly. They said they just found it acting strange, they didn't see it get attacked or anything, and I don't see any form of wounds or abrasions at all.

It acts fairly normal besides being off-balanced and the head movements. It can still grasp with its feet, but can't stand up. It does try to escape from me, but it can't get anywhere due to being so.. messed up... Other than that, it's lively and alert.

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
If it is PMV there is nothing you can do but provide supportive care, there is no curing it only hoping they get through it which if they make it will take about six weeks. He will have this for life and the symptoms will resurface any time he is under any kind of stress. We vaccinate our pigeons against it yearly.
Paratyphoid/Salmonella can also present with the same symptoms which CAN be treated with antibiotics. Most people take that route no matter which it is to help prevent the pigeon from succumbing to a secondary infection while waiting it out.
You will want to keep him in a warm, quiet and dimly lit space. You will want to put his food in a large deep dish so even if his aim is off he still stands a chance of getting food. If he isn't getting any down you can warm up frozen peas and corn and pop them in his beak. With his water you need to put it in a shallow dish just deep enough for him to dip his whole beak in because there is a strong chance of him drowning himself.
As I mentioned I have all kinds of pigeons, Homers, Fancies etc and I love them dearly BUT I would NEVER bring one that is infected with either of these illnesses in my home ANYWHERE near my parrots.

Last edited:

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I'm sorry...I hate when people barely skim a thread before replying; Yet here I did that very thing :o:.
You seem fairly well versed on the subject of PMV. The one thing I would add is that IF it is Paratyphoid/Salmonella you can treat him but he will be a carrier and capable of infecting others for life.
If you don't want to wait for a vet appt. there are several pigeon supply companies where you can get the necessary antibiotics.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
Oh that's fine. I'd already bought the corn and peas and a deep dish. The only difference I've read is that someone recommended a narrow object for the water to lessen the chance of drowning and also, if possible, place electrolytes in their water(which I have a powder commonly used for poultry after shipping with both vitamins and electrolytes). Also, our local farm store has the same stuff, so if I need more I always know where to get it. As far as pigeon supply companies, I'll probably need to do that online. Nothing like that around here.

Also, is it possible to just give Paratyphoid/Salmonella treatment as a precaution or should I stick to one treatment plan?

Here's a video of him:

LunaHestia

Formerly ZoeyBird
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I would go ahead and start treating him for paratyphoid, most do even if it is PMV to prevent a secondary infection from taking them down while in a weakened condition. Foy's pigeon supplies is where I order most of my meds from there is also Seigel's. Last I knew Foy's website was a pain to navigate. I will check my catalog and my own medicine cabinet and see which antibiotic would be best for his situation.

Daema

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kas
I would go ahead and start treating him for paratyphoid, most do even if it is PMV to prevent a secondary infection from taking them down while in a weakened condition. Foy's pigeon supplies is where I order most of my meds from there is also Seigel's. Last I knew Foy's website was a pain to navigate. I will check my catalog and my own medicine cabinet and see which antibiotic would be best for his situation.
Thanks so much!

Dani

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Good Luck Daema!! :hug8: