• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pig will stay flighted!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigwigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mia
I'm happy to announce that after this molt, Pig will stay flighted :dance4: I made the decision tho keep her flighted after the blood feather and after some arguing with myself, she's going to stay flighted :greet6: I should probably get her microchipped or banded, but she's going to stay a birdie ^^

clawnz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Well done.
I hope things work out for you and your Tiel.
I live with 5x flighted Fids that live cage free in the house, and I will say they are very well behaved.
I love it when they are all flying around doing what they want when they want.
I am biased and like to see them live as natural as possible in a captive environment.

Sorry about the bold type?? Not sure how this has happened.
Can I blame the Tiels bouncing around on the key board?

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
nothing like a flighted bird , there happer healthier and a pain in the butt,,lol

im with you,but there are reasons for clipping to , many get out of control if not

clipped , bite, destroy property,or owners are afraid of them getting out .So theres many reasons

for both

Pigwigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mia
Seeing Pig lose a "feather" that was nothing but a quill today made up my mind for me. She tends to fly towards her play area/my head anyway.

She has been flighted since we got her, save for about a week or two. She's been slowly introduced to new areas(this week she got to run around on the floor for a little while and got to play on the couch), and I think being fully flighted will just make her all the more happier :heart:

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Good for you, and Pig :) I have such mixed feelings about this. Gussie was clipped the first year that I had her, then I let her flights grow out & she has been flighted for the past 2 years. But just today I had her clipped again. I did this with a heavy heart. But she has been getting harder & harder to get into her cage lately & this week I had to cancel 2 vet appointments because she KNOWS when I am up to no good! I have curtained all the windows because hawks fly by often & she would freak. Even with the curtains she has had some crashes when startled by a hawk. I have lost 3 birds to crashes over the years, so it really scares me . And I take her with me when I visit my mom & can't let her out when I'm staying at my sister's since her windows aren't curtained. Lastly, lately I've had problems getting her into her cage both when I'm leaving for work & when it's bed time. (She is out whenever I am home). I feel badly but the deed is done. And the feathers will grow back if she seems to mind too much. Right now she's sitting on my shoulder being her regular sweet self. I'll probably end up letting them grow in again, I'm feeling like such a bad mommy right now....:( Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread...I'm just suffering from my guilty consience...case you can't tell :(:(:(

Last edited:

Pigwigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mia
Aww! Don't feel like a bad parront~! It's okay to have them clipped. If she poses a danger to herself then clipping is probably the better option :hug8:

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Don't feel bad Bubblelady, even I understand your reasons for clipping.
Seeing a loved one die from crashing is not good for any of us that love our birds.
I know my situation is an unusual one.
My guys fly in an all glass conservatory and deal with it very well. They were not young when introduced to this free flight.
As for catching them if I need to I use a net, which they seem to get over it.

kitsunebandit

Avenue Veteran
Some of my birds are clipped and some are not, mainly because some love to whizz around everywhere and crash! But you've made a great choice :D

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
a good choice....all our birds are flighted....Mitch and Sam love to fly all over the place, especially Sam...she is like a jet...I am sure that Mitch would never have made the great progress she has made unless she was flighted..and Maxwell is also flighted...it is the only time he is truly "mobile"

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.