• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Pied cockatiel (1.5+ years old) in Illinois... thinking of rehoming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanti

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
Hello,

I've been reading a lot of posts here and I really like the community, so I feel like this is a safe environment to reach out for help for my little Sunny. About a year and a half ago I adopted Sunny and Cinnamon as a bonded pair from a local bird show, but the breeder claimed she got them from another person and had no information or age on them. Sunny was missing a toe and very aggressive towards people (and sometimes Cinnamon), but for the most part they were happy birds together. Neither of them were tame and if I ever tried to separate them they would both shriek endlessly until brought back together, Sunny would bite, hiss, and do anything to get away from people.

A couple months ago, Cinnamon passed away in the night, I'm not sure if it was old age or something else because I had no information on them :( From then it seemed like Sunny went mad, he would shriek for hours on end for Cinnamon to come back and I tried to keep him in a dark quiet room when he would get loud. I tried to let him see the body (as per suggestions from other sources), but as soon as he was alone he would start screaming again. He did start to become more receptive to people though and he loves to come up to your face and get kisses, but hands are still a definite no go. If you try to get him to step up, he'll bite you. If you try to give him a treat, he'll bite you. Any hands near him at all, he'll bite you. Its incredibly hard to get him out of his cage because he just wants to run away and bite, but once he's out he becomes a lot sweeter.

Our biggest problem though is his screaming, now he treats me like Cinnamon. If I leave the room or leave him alone for more than 30min he will start a repetitive screaming or a nonstop "alarm noise" as we call it, and he will go on for a good 10 minutes at a time. We've tried to ignore it and reward him while he's quiet, but as soon as we leave the room he starts going off again. We live in an apartment and its a wonder they neighbors haven't complained already because he will start going at 7am every morning (even when covered) until the sun sets at 7-8pm. In a week we're going back to school so we're going to be gone for most of the day 4 days a week and I know its going to drive him absolutely nuts.

We've tried leaving a radio on for him, moving our parakeet in with him, and spending as much time as we can with him, but he just won't stop screaming/repetitive "alarm" noises... I think he really misses being with Cinnamon, and it would be in his best interest to find him a home with other cockatiels. We have a large flight cage of finches, but I'm not sure he wouldn't get along with them in their cage.

This is a longshot, but I just wanted to put Sunny's story out there to see if there is anyone willing to help with advice or even a new home. Any other questions please let me know, I rambled A LOT. We are in the Springfield, IL area.

Here are some pictures of my boy:

Sunny on the left, Cinnamon on the right

Bailey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I've got an indoor aviary with 9 cockatiels, and my boyfriend has mentioned that he wouldn't mind adding another to even out our numbers. The birds get 8+ hours of indoor free roam daily and a varied diet, and are all kept flighted so they can get their exercise and stay fit. :)

I, however, live in Austin, TX so it may be difficult to find a way to get him here.

Tanti

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
Oh wow, Bailey, that looks awesome! I bet Sunny would really be at home there... I've never shipped an animal so I'm not sure where to even begin looking at methods of transport. I'll try looking into things and keep you in mind. Thanks so much for your response :)

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Can you give me an idea of where you are in Illinois? I would be interested in adding Sunny to my flock of tiels, I recently lost one to an accident and it has thrown my flock out of balance.

Menagerie Mama

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heidi
Perhaps some experienced cockatiel keepers can offer advice about how to take a step back and add some training (T stand or dowel for step ups to remove Sunny from the cage, target trading, etc? I know nothing about tiles and their unique behavior quirks!) that could solidify the bond he is choosing to establish with you and possibly redirect his energies?

If you decide to go with @Bailey, try to start a thread (with a link to Sunny's story here) about a possible "AA Auto Train". I would be part of it if I lived anywhere between you two, but am by the Blue Ridge Mtns...but, I bet there are plenty of caring AA members who might be willing to take a leg of the journey.

Good luck to you and Sunny in finding the best solution for all!

Tanti

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
I am in Springfield, IL, SandraK. Also, I'm sorry for your loss :( I see you're listed in Chicago, which is about 4 hours from me. However, I often drive up to my parents home in Joliet, IL with Sunny (because he's too loud to leave in the apartment and I'd feel bad). I've actually been considering having my father take him in, so he could stay in the family, but I feel like he would just be in the same situation where he is alone for many hours a day while he's at work and with no bird companions...

That's also a great idea, Menagerie Mama... I feel like I've tried everything and I'm not sure where else to go from here. He really is a wonderful bird once he's OUT of the cage, I just always feel like I'm stressing him out so much trying to actually get him out. Though even out, sometimes he has his moments where he'll snap and start biting your hands like crazy. His biggest issue is his constant screaming, since we're connected to another apartment by a single wall... I will keep the AA Auto Train in mind :)

Last edited:

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
A lot of people have had folks transport birds via auto trains. Just a series of volunteers from the forum that pass the bird off until he reaches the new owner. That's what I had in mind when I mentioned it to you. :)

Jaguar

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
The only thing that worked for Phoenix (also a screamer) and I was to move him to a part of the house where he couldn't see or hear me. Which was the bedroom. Out of sight, out of mind. He does not scream for me unless he knows I am there and ignoring him. Quite often I walk by the bedroom door and hear the two of them chattering back and forth to each other. It reduced my (and his) stress levels by a huuuuge amount.

if you still do decide to rehome him... best of luck :)

Tanti

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
@Jaguar He's actually in a separate room at the moment, we have a two bedroom apartment with the second bedroom being the "bird room" where Sunny's cage is when he's not out and the finch cages are located. It's a small place though so its possible he can hear us downstairs when he's up there, but he'll also just start screaming when we're asleep and he's all covered up :( I wish I knew the reasoning behind it.

We've also tried having him in his cage down here with us but he screams just as much if we so much as move off the couch, its very frustrating :sad1:

Tanti

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
@SandraK I realize now I probably didn't tag you correctly in my last post, I was just wondering your thoughts on the location between us. I would love for Sunny to go somewhere so close to my family and I, because he really doesn't seem to like travel.

@Bailey If that doesn't work out, I would definitely be open to looking into the train idea. I'm still trying to learn everything here, where would I go about looking for AA train volunteers?

I appreciate everyone's help so far :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
@SandraK I realize now I probably didn't tag you correctly in my last post, I was just wondering your thoughts on the location between us. I would love for Sunny to go somewhere so close to my family and I, because he really doesn't seem to like travel.

@Bailey If that doesn't work out, I would definitely be open to looking into the train idea. I'm still trying to learn everything here, where would I go about looking for AA train volunteers?

I appreciate everyone's help so far :)
I think once you know from where to where you need help transporting you just post? I'd be willing to help if you come my way.

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
You would just post a thread titled "AA Train Volunteers Needed: Illinois to Texas" and then see if we can get folks to volunteer for enough legs of the journey to connect all of us together.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I wanted to post this as additional info on Sunny. Sunny is part of my tiel flock and has set his sights on Theo (whiteface tiel), who wants nothing to do with him. As a result, Sunny follows Theo around the bird room/cages as much as he can. He can't fly and is sometimes a little wobbly when perching or being moved on a perch. He isn't hand tame though he sometimes forgets himself and steps up.

He was seen by Dr. Scott last Tuesday and I was given the info from his band. Apparently Sunny will be 22 this year. His band read 555F 94 3 ACS. He apparently was bred by Joanna Ferracane from Westmont IL, but she hasn't been a member of the American Cockateil Society since 1997. He is a beautiful birdie and was definitely bred for showing - he makes my tiels look like runts. I did let Tanti know what I'd found out.

So, at this point Sunny is the oldest bird I have since I have no info on tiel Peeps, who was dumped @ the local Petsmart in 2008?

Last edited:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
I'm so glad he's doing well with you. I'm sure he'll settle even more each day. :)
@SandraK

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Wow, Sandra thanks for taking Sunny in!

Yeah, love happy endings...
:dance4:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Wow! That's wonderful. I'm glad things worked out with Sunny. :) Gotta love another older Sunny on the forum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.