• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Picky sunsconure only eating pellets

Diveks

Walking the driveway
I have been trying to get vegetables and fruits in my sun conure, jinx’s diet jinx wont eat anything other than pellets no matter how many times ive tried, i have tried eating some with her (not really sure of her gender yet, im going to do a dna test). She eats harrison’s high potency. I will sometimes give her a bit of handfeeding formula. When she was weaning she would eat some vegetables and fruits, but only a bit. But the older she gets, the more she avoids them. I want to start training her. She already knows how to fly to me and go to perch. But i thought her with handfeeding formula. I want to be able to easily bring her treats everywhere. She is even scared of sunflower seeds, and would spit them out. She would also ignore the fruits and vegetables i give her. Anyone have any suggestion on what to do?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I’m not sure how good pine nuts would work for you but they are good for me to use as training treats. Have you tried pine nuts instead of sunflower seed for training?
Have you tried offering them different ways......mashed, diced, sliced and grated veg? Mixed together and separate? I ask this because sometimes Burt goes off his veg and I’ve worked out it is usually when I’ve offered them in the same way too often. They get bored with the exact same foods just the same as we can.

Hopefully some other members with conures and/or better ideas will be along soon :)

Diveks

Walking the driveway
I’m not sure how good pine nuts would work for you but they are good for me to use as training treats. Have you tried pine nuts instead of sunflower seed for training?
Have you tried offering them different ways......mashed, diced, sliced and grated veg? Mixed together and separate? I ask this because sometimes Burt goes off his veg and I’ve worked out it is usually when I’ve offered them in the same way too often. They get bored with the exact same foods just the same as we can.

Hopefully some other members with conures and/or better ideas will be along soon :)
thanks, ill try getting some pine nuts, not sure where i could get some around here though. who knows maybe my macaw would enjoy it too, unlike jinx, she isnt picky at all. and yes ive tried them in a lot of different ways, he usually licks it but then throws it to the floor :confused:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
:lol:My macaw loves throwing his bowls to the floor as much as he loves pine nuts. The water bowl is actually his favourite one to tip, the food bowl he prefers to throw to the far side of his cage :bored:

Last edited:

Diveks

Walking the driveway
:lol:My macaw loves throwing his bowls to the floor as much as he loves pine nuts. The water bowl is actually his favourite one to tip the food bowls he prefers to throw to the far side of his cage :bored:
same thing here, when my macaw is bored she will suddenly throw her food bowl and water bowls and the aviary will get all sticky and wet :rofl::shifty:

tattoosiva

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have been trying to get vegetables and fruits in my sun conure, jinx’s diet jinx wont eat anything other than pellets no matter how many times ive tried, i have tried eating some with her (not really sure of her gender yet, im going to do a dna test). She eats harrison’s high potency. I will sometimes give her a bit of handfeeding formula. When she was weaning she would eat some vegetables and fruits, but only a bit. But the older she gets, the more she avoids them. I want to start training her. She already knows how to fly to me and go to perch. But i thought her with handfeeding formula. I want to be able to easily bring her treats everywhere. She is even scared of sunflower seeds, and would spit them out. She would also ignore the fruits and vegetables i give her. Anyone have any suggestion on what to do?
Keep trying.

All she's known is pellets and formula, anything new is going to be viewed with suspicion. My guys refused anything but pellets and sunflower seeds. Their gateway vegetable was freeze dried corn.

Then FD sweet peas.
Then freeze dried broccoli.

10 years later, they are eating some fresh vegetables and fruits but still refusing some but it's a progression. She's growing and so will her taste in food

Unless there are health issue's, just keep trying and enjoy the ride.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you scroll to the bottom of my chop recipe page, I have some tips that have worked for me over the years. :) it can definitely be a struggle!

My Chop "Recipe"