• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pickles...part parrot...part beaver?

Trinity23

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather
I joined this forum because I need some advice on how to deal with the chewing habits of my 3 year old male pacific plet Pickles. I will say I adore my little guy and he's my first non-cockatiel. Though I have had 'tiels my whole life.

A little bit about pickles and his "quirks". He's a typical plet in that he's Mr. Personality. Very cuddly, well socialized, will go to anyone. Also fearless and the fearlessness makes him so stupid. It's normal for him to climb the cord of my stand fan (turned off of course) or my laptop. Lately he's somehow figured out how to make it across the apartment onto my bike and I've woken up a few times to him hanging upside down from the brake lines of the handlebars of my bike. He does love to hang upside down so I'm pretty sure he's part bat. When I take him home the 'tiels tolerate him and all he wants to do is play with them. Like all little green things he gets into 10 different kinds of trouble.

I keep his wings clipped for safety reasons because I am an apartment dweller. I live in southwestern ontario and I'm only about a 30 min drive from OVC at UofG. So his last wellness check was done by THE Dr Mike Taylor and the OVC does now have an emergency exotics clinic.. Just FYI to any other locals out there.

When I was reading the thread the good, the bad and the ugly it was a relief. He needs to go everywhere with me too! When I was dishes I put a kitchen towel on a chair and he sits on it and hangs out with me. Also, he's neurotic about plastic bags too! specifically white ones. He has to "attack" and "kill" them. I'm not the only one with a crazy parrotlet!:lol:

I've been living in my current apartment for about 3 months. Unlike the last one I'm at ground level. So Pickles really likes to sit on the windowsill and look outside. BUT recently he's been chewing on the white painted wooden frame of the window. He spits out his chewings but I am concerned about the paint. When I catch him chewing I remove him with a stern NO and put him on the flat arm of the couch. I've also been giving him yucca to try and encourage him to chew on that instead of the window. However, I'm not sure this is working. Does anyone have any ideas, tips, tricks....ways to deter him from eating the window??? Can't wait to share more stories of my crazy boy. =0)

IMG_3084 - Copy.jpg

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I would make sure he is securely cages while you're sleeping. One of the biggest killers of p'lets is how curious they are and they get into small spaces and get squished.

As for the chewing I would get a little window suction hook (you can usually find these at dollar stores) and hang him his own little toy there so he chews on that instead. I have a Wingdow and my birds love to sit on it, look out the window, and chew on a toy.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
41d-rIZ8UxL._SY300_.jpg my tiels are also notorious chewers....The only thing that I have found that works at all is that packing tape (brown) that you can buy at dollar stores..Just tape over the windowsill..He wont be able to pry it up..(at least our tiels cannot).It might not look great but it does the trick..no more chewing on the windowsills.

Marlene

Welcome to the neighborhood!
Real Name
Marlene
Don't have any advice, just wanted to let you know how cute I think your baby is!

Trinity23

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather
I will say...that's THE reaction I get all the time. He's soooo cute. My response is usually "yeah...wait until you get him alone"