• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Phoenix Landing?

clarabear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Clara
(I'm not sure if this is the correct category in which to post this- but hopefully nobody minds!)
I am currently going through the adoption process with Phoenix Landing. Does anyone have any experience with this group?
They seem very on top of things, but they haven't called me back for a few days when they said they would a little while ago. It's been very difficult getting in touch with them- although it's much easier than with other shelters and organizations. I assume they're just busy, but of course I am so excited to adopt a lovie I just can't wait!
Any feedback would be appreciated- experiences with Phoenix Landing, advice for caring for a rehomed lovie, good diets for adult lovebirds, etc., would be appreciated!! :)

LoveBird<3

Walking the driveway
I haven't had any experiences with Phoenix Landing or with a rehomed lovie... but for adult lovebirds, they generally need a very varied diet. There should be a good amount of pellets--the amount varies, but it shouldn't exceed a little over half of the diet--like Roudybush, Harrison's, or something along those lines. There should be some seed mixed in, and not too many sunflower seeds (maybe 4-6 a day at the very most). Millet can be used as an occasional treat, and Nutriberries or Avicakes are good for treats as well. Most importantly, there are the fresh foods like fruits and veggies. If the adult lovie hasn't been introduced to pellets or fresh foods (or even seed, sometimes), it might be difficult to adjust its diet. But don't give up. There are lots of tips for changing its diet around here. :)

Sparky04

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kiersten
We've adopted two birds from Phoenix Landing. I'm not sure which state you're in, but there are different state cordinators and that'll probably be the first person you talk to. Then, we were directed to contact the foster parronts. In Cora's case, I was just looking for a tiel, not any bird in particular, so I talked to several foster parronts. With Duncan, we asked directly about her because we saw her at an event. They can be slow to contact or reply, especially foster parronts who may be busy with other things. But it'll work out. :) Don't forget they require you go to at least 3 of their classes. If you have more questions, you can message me.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Please remember that with any organization that has volunteers, those same volunteers may have jobs and have personal lives (and we all know how many issues can come up in our own lives).

Just give them another call and hopefully you will hear from them.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
All I know of them is the gossip, and it's all good. I'd say be patient and everything will work out. Most people working with animals also have full time jobs and their lives are usually very full up.

Hope all works out for you.

clarabear

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Clara
thanks for all the reassurance! I was finally able to get in touch with the coordinator for Maryland and she's found the perfect bird for me. He's moving in sometime around the 30th! I'm very grateful that he is a happy, healthy bird who has a pellet and fresh food diet already. I can't wait! I'll post a picture after he's moved in. :rflb:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Congratulations! :starshower1:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue