• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Petcoach an interesting idea

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
Petco opens store that offers free veterinary care for a monthly fee

The article doesn't have a lot of specific details in it. I wouldn't imagine that you'd get free xrays, blood tests or medication with it with the $9 a month fee. It would be awesome if you combine this with a pet insurance plan though. Plus at least in the beginning I can't imagine they'd do exotics, birds included.

I have to admit I'm biased against big box pet stores, as many don't provide vet care to the sick animals in their store and offer get their animals from mills. I know Petsmart has vet clinics besides some of their stores. But I wonder what kind of vet ends up working a Petsmart vet clinic?

I'm somewhat encouraged by this news though. Sadly many people still don't take their animals to the vets if this could help change that then I'm all for it. The cynic in me says they'll sell you a sick animal from a mill and then want to make money off of its vet care too. I don't like being cynical so I hope I'm wrong on that. I dunno... I have mix emotions about it. What are your thoughts?

Doctress

Strolling the yard
I wouldn’t judge a vet based on where they work- a lot factors in... running a private clinic with a high overhead can be costly, and all professionals have loans to pay off. Working in a big box store doesn’t mean the vet is less qualified or less caring.

HOWEVER, I wouldn’t trust a big box vet with birds. We lived a rural area once, and took Georgie in for a wing clip.. the vet had to look up “flight feathers” on Google :tdown:

This would probably be fine for dogs and cats, more common critters.