• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet Waterfalls & Hanging Gyms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinderella

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chloe
For Sparx's new cage, I want to splurge on one item for her, but I can't decide between a rock waterfall or a hanging tree gym.

Sparx really loves running water, she loves to drink out of it, she loves to hear it, she loves to bathe in it, and she loves to just sit by it. So I thought it'd be a great idea to put it in her new cage. I was thinking of putting a wire sundeck/platform in there and then setting a rock waterfall on that.

I can only find 2 pet waterfalls, and one that is large enough for her to bathe in:

The one on the right is the one I'd get. It's 11"x11"12" and costs $74

That large waterfall has a nice shallow bottom tier so she could bathe in there, but it has really bad reviews on PetCo.com:

Exo-Terra Reptile Terrarium Waterfall at PETCO

Secondly, there is the ZooMed waterfall, which is made by a reputable brand (has no bad reviews) but it's smaller, so Sparx might not be able to bathe in this one.. it measures 12"x15"16 so you'd think it would be large enough, but the only review that it has said it's really small..

This one is $40:

Zoo Med Repti Rapids Waterfall at PETCO

I love the dark grey one, except for that it's a corner unit and the corners of my new aviary are rounded, so a corner shelf and corner waterfall might not work that well...

So if you know anything about these two different waterfalls, or if you know of another type of naturalistic looking rock waterfall that woudl work for a Quaker's cage, let me know! :)

Also, I am looking for a nice hanging playgym/play tree, so if you know of anything like that, let me know!!

So far, I've checked out Wayne's Bottlebrush hanging gym, Parrot Playworld hanging PVC gyms, and Exotic Wood Dreams. Loved them all, and I think at this point I am leaning towards the Parrot PlayWorld gym because of price.

BUt let me know your thoughts/opinions! :)

Last edited:

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
The waterfall to me seems like a glorified poop collector! Id go with the hanging gym :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I would be great to have your own waterfall to bathe in:eek::D But I'd worry about bacteria growth. Will you be cleaning it daily? For reptiles, I know the inside where the water is and sometimes around the bowl can get "slimy" if not cleaned daily. Thats my only concern, but it wouldbe awesome to have your own waterfall:D

I would personally get the large waterfall and the hanging gym if you can:D

How exciting for Sparx!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
that is really I great idea! I have never seen anyone use one of them before. I am interested to hear if anyone has used one with a bird

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I think I would be worried about bacteria in the water, danger of drowning unless it was only filled under supervision. :o: Love the idea though.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I cant see that it would be anymore of a drowning hazard than their water dish is.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Careful with those water dishes!
We have one for our gecko. There is a slot that a bird could easily get trapped under, the rock ledge extends past the bowl and there is a second pool there. Your bird might be able to drown.

Glowbird

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
I have wanted something like that for my guys. I think I would put it on the counter next to the sink and empty it and rinse it after the bath.

Lex123

I love the idea of the waterfall, but KeeWee doesn't really like water :( I would get the hanging gym since it is more versitale. It could be in the cage or outside of it hanging from the ceiling.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
Careful with those water dishes!
We have one for our gecko. There is a slot that a bird could easily get trapped under, the rock ledge extends past the bowl and there is a second pool there. Your bird might be able to drown.
Shooot! This is also why I'd prefer to SEE the item in person before I buy it. But PETCO does not sell the large waterfall in their store, it says it's "Online Exclusive"

I wish I could see ALL the items I'm considering in person, that would really help me narrow down my decision! :/

Sparx isn't a super inquisitive bird, she doesn't delve deep into things, so I don't THINK that she would explore this thing enough to get trapped, but you're right.. I wouldn't want to risk it!

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
The waterfall to me seems like a glorified poop collector! Id go with the hanging gym :)
:lol: That's what I was thinking!! But what if I place it on a wire shelf/platform thing that's about five & a half feet up from the floor and not place any toys or perches above it?

I see what you mean, though.. with all the grooves & the rough "rock" texture, any poo that DOES get on it would stick like glue and be a huge pain to get off. (I scrub my aquarium decorations that have that texture with scrub brushes and it still won't get everything off!)

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
I would be great to have your own waterfall to bathe in:eek::D But I'd worry about bacteria growth. Will you be cleaning it daily? For reptiles, I know the inside where the water is and sometimes around the bowl can get "slimy" if not cleaned daily. Thats my only concern, but it wouldbe awesome to have your own waterfall:D

I would personally get the large waterfall and the hanging gym if you can:D

How exciting for Sparx!
I would be cleaning & disinfecting the part where the water comes out and the little "pool" areas daily, but I bet it would be really tough to get at the internal mechanisms in order to clean them. =/

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Oh! I have several ones available to me to sell. I have various indoor water fountains to birdbath types. I do not have them listed on my main online shop but I was going to be converting my one other site to some of these type of items. I can even post images of these if anyone is interested.

So I guess if you use a water fountain type which would have an electrical cord to plug in to run - then I guess you would have a way to hide or conceal it to keep from being chewed on.

Spinderella

Real Name
Chloe
Oh! I have several ones available to me to sell. I have various indoor water fountains to birdbath types. I do not have them listed on my main online shop but I was going to be converting my one other site to some of these type of items. I can even post images of these if anyone is interested.

So I guess if you use a water fountain type which would have an electrical cord to plug in to run - then I guess you would have a way to hide or conceal it to keep from being chewed on.
Really?! You have the option to sell these??? OMG! Awesome, then I will buy it from you!!

You should post pics!

Jan

Stainless Bird Toys @ Blu's Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Jan
Yes, I do! I had been working on the store of mine, online of course - this from my main site which was my original catalog that I've had but did have bird toy/parts on it but had been revamping it for this other stuff. It WAS called "Bird Toys, Food & More" and is now just called "Pionus Parrot Unlimited". I have to change the HTML in the code for the name I changed it to. However, I have to check stock on the items mainly to see if they are still available and/or remove them if not and there is a lot of other items to still add.

I think there are a few fountains shown on there but there are others to add in yet but none may not work out for what you really want.

www.pionusparrot.com/catalog

Last edited:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would go for the hanging gym,that sounds like a lot of fun.

hawkygal

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Be sure to check where the water drains down to be recycled. Make sure that its not an exposed hole or in deep water etc. wouldn't want your fid to beak at the drain and somehow get stuck and down :( also remember that there will be suction down there too.

Status
Not open for further replies.