• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet Store Budgies

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Do pet stores ever sell older budgies? Like not 4 months just lost their head bars, I mean like a few years old. I got my budgie and she had no head bars but her cere was still white and blue so I figured she was still pretty young. Almost a year later, it finally turned to brown for the first time since I’ve had her and now it’s fading back to blue and white. So I’m wondering if she is in fact older than I thought.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

SchwuggieLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jessica
I've seen some older ones (sexually mature)... I always feel bad for them though because I'm pretty sure that just means they've spent a lot of time in that pet store getting picked over. Oddly enough it usually seems to be blue normals. I don't know if that's a less-desired color or what.

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Yes, pet stores can sell older birds. Sometimes it's because the young birds haven't sold and the young ones molt into their adult plumage (which can be as early as 4-6 months), other times it could be because they were shipped older birds, or perhaps someone gave older birds to the store.

So it's still quite possible that you bought a budgie that was under a year old.