• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peruvian Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think it makes sense birds do need a diet high in minerals, including sodium. Perhaps because their diets naturally contain a significant amount of potassium. I'm jealous you got to witness that all first hand. What a dream!

AshleyFamily

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laurie & Mark Ashley
Newbie trying to learn to identify, so be patient LOL Which are the macaws that were totally yellow(gold) under neath and blue on top? Are those B&G, or something different, because I saw two different blue and gold colored macaws, one has a blue body and under wing, one has a gold under wing and body.

wonderb

Avenue Spotlight Award
Newbie trying to learn to identify, so be patient LOL Which are the macaws that were totally yellow(gold) under neath and blue on top? Are those B&G, or something different, because I saw two different blue and gold colored macaws, one has a blue body and under wing, one has a gold under wing and body.
All the large blue and yellow birds are B&Gs. Some look blue underneath because of shadows, which I'm guessing is what you're seeing. The Severes have blue flights and green bodies, with red "shoulders" at the bend of the wing. The Illigers also have blue flights and are also known as Blue Winged Macaws. They are green and have a yellowish facial patch. Both the Severes and the Illigers are smaller birds. Does that help?

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
Here are some more pictures. I do miss it (strongly from time to time) and since returning this past March I can't wait to go back. There's just something about a trip like this, so different from the average vacation. It's off the beaten path, more of an adventure, and more activity hiking to different locations....but experiencing nature untouched is well worth it.

Attachments

Last edited:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
While I love the birds, I've always had a soft spot for the capybaras. :dance4:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
wow...just awesome!!!!!!

Feather

Avenue Veteran
WOW! Those are all so stunning! I'm jealous. :p Wish I could see all that in person. :dreamyeyes:

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
The Tambopata Research Center, one of two lodges I stayed at, is home to the Macaw Project. It consists of ongoing research and monitoring headed by Dr. Daniel Brightsmith. It makes use of techniques such as artificial nest boxes (from which chicks are accessed, weighed, etc.) and volunteers that work in shifts throughout the day (sitting in blinds or platforms) recording basically anything and everything these birds do. Evening lectures at the TRC consist of their findings, information on the behaviors of macaws, and conservation issues. Just to give an example, they’ll compare, for instance, chick mortality of a particular nest to the amount of time that parent-parrots spend defending that nest. In other words, if a pair of macaws has three chicks, one or even two of them might starve to death, but not because of food shortage. Good nesting spots are naturally scarce and when one is found it’s coveted by other mated pairs who may then try to take it. So, the more time parents spend defending a nest site the less time they have to forage enough food for all of their young.

I’ll post just a few more pictures of the researchers doing their work as well as some of the “Chicos.” I want to talk briefly about the “chicos” as they can’t go without mention. In the early years of the Macaw Project, for about the first two years, an effort was undertaken to remove from nests chicks that would have died and to hand-raise them for re-release. The result, close to two decades later, is that although these chicks have gone off to lead normal lives they are also not fearful of humans (this part was unintentional). So at the lodge one can expect to see a few visitors around meal times – breakfast or lunch. Some of the Chicos (“kids” in Spanish) have gone on to mate with fellow Chicos while others have taken wild mates. Wild mates and offspring do not come near the research center but might remain waiting in trees nearby while the
Chico (mom or dad) eats and interacts with guests. Visiting nest box sites (the trees they are in) is also a good way to catch a somewhat closer glimpse of macaws. Even outside of the nesting season a bonded pair will return to its nest to roost every evening. These types of sightings can be counted on a bit more than at the clay lick.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
And just a few more of the Chicos showing up at mealtime. Unfortunately this one showed up early while the table was still empty.......(but was given a piece of fruit anyway)

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
From the "Regular Visitors" sign on the veranda, it looks like the Chicos all have names. Do you know/remember who it was in the last group of macaw photos? In Brazil macaws are called "araras", do they have a similar name in Peru (Spanish or Quechua)?

The two photos of the young macaw are so very cute - he has such a baby bird look!:hehe:

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I didn't actually identify that Chico that showed up. It was early evening and I must have just showered and went to get coffee and relax a bit when I saw him. So naturally I immediately went to get my camera. But yes, they all have names and stories. As you flip through that book it tells you who their mates are, whether they are wild or another Chico. It even tells you which ones have not been seen in a long time. And to let a staff member know if you spot any of them. Stuff like that. I always thought it was cute how he's looking right at the table as if he's wondering why the food isn't there.....Lol.

The Quechua word is Guacamayo. It means "crying on (or along) the river." This is the word that was most often used by the guides. In Costa Rica a macaw is a "Lapa."

Last edited:

KatherinesBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katherine
These are truly beautiful photos. It is wonderful to see all of those birds nibbling at the minerals in the dirt on the cliff side. Your home looks like PARADISE to me!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It looks like that one Chico is saying to himself: "Well, I'm here, it's daylight, dinner time, there's the table - where're the food and the people?". Who could not give a treat under those conditions?

I think I like the Quechua name guacamayo better than any other name I've heard for a macaw. It's much more personal and descriptive than "arara". How is guacamayo pronounced - guacamaio or guacamajo (soft or hard y)?

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
This is so exciting, I am in the process of making plans to go there. I love the pictures :D:D

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
SandraK, I’d say that the ending sounds like the word Maya, as in Mayan civilization, but with an “o” instead of an “a.” So, it’s Guaca, like “guacamole”…..mayo. Hope that helps!

magni, I was actually going to ask whether anyone is considering visiting. It’s a unique experience that words can’t describe. These lodges are run in cooperation with local communities, so by supporting them you are supporting the creation of jobs (guides, lodge employees, etc.), university studies (as many people there now see environmental studies as a career), and of course, conservation.

One also does not have to go as far as Peru. Just pick up a guide to Costa Rica at your local bookstore and you’ll see just how much of that country is protected habitat. They are very eco-conscious and a great way to experience parrots in the wild, among many other animals.

Upon arriving in the Americas, when Columbus first saw parrots, he said that he had discovered paradise! I certainly agree that there's something about seeing these creatures in their natural habitat that is just otherworldly.

Status
Not open for further replies.