• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Persistent Conure Sniffles

Drosec

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dylan
Hello friends! I've had my gcc for 10 years and at the end of November she started sounding sniffly. Since then she has done two rounds of clavamox enrofloxacin and metacam and been nebulized regularly. We've also replaced all fabric toys and gotten an air filter and humidifier. We moved into an older building with a radiator so it is definitely drier here than she is used to.

Overall she seems to be doing well, but about 2 weeks after each round of treatment concludes she starts to sniffle again. While she's not tail pumping, she has a slight tremble in her tail and in her wings where her wings look like they are shivering much like they would after a bath. Her poops have also been off ever since she first got sick. They are not the same color they used to be and are much looser and she poops a lot more often. Fecal stain found nothing twice.

My family and friends think I'm crazy for worrying when she seems overall happy and lively. But I've known my friend for a decade and after three months and tons of vet bills I still feel like she isn't back to normal. Has anyone experienced something like this? I worry about doing a third round of the same antibiotics that have failed to knock this out yet. Any advice? I wish she could tell me what she is feeling :(

Last edited:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Has she been exposed to any new birds ?

Clymadia is a thought, doesn't culture, would have to do a blood test , but can have false negatives. It can respond but not be know jed out by those antibiotics. But if was clymadia would take 45 days if doxycycline to clear. Azithromycin is excellent for most bird respiratory and is supposed to also work against clymadia. But in my clymadia outbreak it took doxycycline to clear , still had relapse but that's the nature of clymadia, took 2 more rounds of doxycycline to clear .

But enroflocin can have caused yeast overgrowth, it usually does..so may need a round of antifungal, my preferred is nystsin.

And it's possible it's now a mixed infection, a non cleared bacteria plus now a yeast .

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Did you say heart disease was ruled out?
And what is the diet ?
Even if your diet is pellets, I suggest a lot of vitamin A rich veggies. Especially yellow or orange bell peppers, all peppers, cooked or raw sweet potato. I like to have a little boiled or scrambled egg in diet as well for b12.
When weather permits time outside in light shade for the sunshine vitamin

Last edited: