• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Percy's Goffins Cockatoo Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
the story of Percy as I remember it as it started 9 years ago September
at the bird club meeting I went to the bird club to look for a more interactive bird since I only was raising finches at the time I was thinking of getting a tiel and this was my first meeting another member was looking for a home for a Goffins Cockatoo that she needed to re home my roommate and I had discussed getting a cockatoo but thought it would be too expensive I did not know what kind of too a goffins was had not done my research but and Percy (Fred or Freddie at the time) was available free to a good home since he was so plucked that he looked like a naked bird so I said yes with out seeing Percy or anything little did I know what I was getting into I lived in an apartment at the time
When Percy came to visit later that month it was love at first sight he did not want to play with her at all all he did is want to sit by me the honeymoon day
she gave me his cage a list of foods that he liked all people and with sodium and other unhealthy stuff including cookies and fried chicken well I did not know any better and put him on a seed diet like my finches he would not step to your hands only your arm and he would bite me he even bite me 21 times in a row while I calmly said not bite they were not that hard but the honeymoon was over I promised him that day no matter what he did he was not leaving I do not have any pictures of him then but here is a picture of him that I like
and I will write more latter

Attachments

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Re: Percy's story

:hug8:

I love that Percy, looking forward to hearing more about your story.
I will say it can work with a Too even with no experience it just takes lots of hard work by both parties to make a happy home.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

I think if you ask anyone with a TOO Cynthia, they have all come to realize that they had no idea what they were getting into. All the research in the world is nothing like hands on experience and actually having to live with one 24/7.

You just don't know what you don't know until you know. Hindsight is 20/20 has never been a truer statement.

:hug8: Look how far you have come though!!! :hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

Great Story of Percy! I would love to see more pictures of him :D How did he change your life? When did you learn that seeds were not th ebest and switched him? Was it tough? How is he toyda? Still clingy? And how about Little General?

:hug8:

I will say it can work with a Too even with no experience it just takes lots of hard work by both parties to make a happy home.
I totally agree. I didnt have much prior 'too experience when I got Bokka. And well luckily of years of studying and edgucating myself and finding a Great community of online people to learn from, has paid off.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

I think if you ask anyone with a TOO Cynthia, they have all come to realize that they had no idea what they were getting into. All the research in the world is nothing like hands on experience and actually having to live with one 24/7.

You just don't know what you don't know until you know. Hindsight is 20/20 has never been a truer statement.

:hug8: Look how far you have come though!!! :hug8:
Nicely said!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

lol I was a member of a bird club but was not on the internet then there was not much on I had to reinvent the wheel

and thanks John and Kristy there is a lot more but it will take time to explain

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

well I had a problem the first month Percy could get out of his cage faster then I could put him back I do not have pictures of that cage but the one I bought him the following month still too little I use it for my quaker to compare the size with and have a picture of that the bird club was now help no one said he needed a bigger cage I know that now when the next door apartment person came by early one morning and said can you shut up that cat (he was meowing) I realized I need to buy a house to keep him in the landlords were really nice when I moved out a year later with a house to considering he messed up the mantle as toos do by this time he was no longer biting me and would step up for the command on me
he was taken to a different vet ever six months I am sure that helped with his socialization he was eating seed and some people food moslty good people food besides his seed I have never had him have a problem with him eating what I was just tossing the fork to the floor there were a lot of things that I did that I would not do now but or bond thrived

here is a picture I can find of his cage he was out a lot however because my rommmate did not work

Attachments

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

I love percy's story. He must be so happy with you now.

How did you ever come by Little General? Whats his story?

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

that happens latter in about two years after this I am trying to do thing in order so Little General will have his story in a few weeks :hug8:

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Cynthia:hug8:I'm SO looking forward to each and every Percy story chapter:heart: And then Lil Generals:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

I thought I would backtrack now and tell more that I know about Percy's history
he was 14 years old when I got him his former owner had him for about two years she got him from a friend of hers that found him dumped on her door stop he had been with a heavy smoker his feathers were yellow from the nicotine he was addicted to tobacco and chocolate from what was gathered the man that had him for his first 12 years just got tiered of him well while she had him there were several things that happened and I will tell them here
she had an outdoor aviary as well when Percy was put in that aviary he would scream all day thus he was in a bedroom where he was alone all day while she worked he chewed a hole in the bed that was stored there
he also was allowed to free roam the woods he would come back to a signal for dinner she had and amazon male that got into a fight with Percy when she was carrying them both
she vetted him as needed and he was use to needles knew all about them
she would play games with him including bowling for birdies (you take a ball throw it at their feet and have them toss it back) he would get so excited that he would bite you while you picked up the ball if you were not extra fast at moving it away first he was very good at lunging after your fingers I did not play that game much

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!

Percy has had quite the past, we all learn as we go.
I was lol about you not wanting to play birdie bowling much. :)
So he screamed a bunch, chewed a matress, and was left out into a forest - goodness we are lucky he is still with us!
Enjoying the story - thank you.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

yes we are lucky he survived and I am still learning :hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

now you know his history here is a list of past and today

diet
past junk food and seed
today birdie bread with organic vegetables fruit and grain
pellets
fresh mostly organic vegetables from my plate
and treats of nuts and nutiberries
goal herb salad black currents

activities
past played with toys
unsupervised out of cage play time

today play with toys
foraging some
goal more foraging

outside
past history no restraint
today only in a carrier

behavior
past screaming biting
today is a too for noise and has not bitten me in years
spoiled

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie

Cynthia-Thank You so much for sharing Percy's story with Us:hug8:He really has been through alot,But is So Lucky to have come into Your Home and TLC:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia

the toll his past has taken because of the lack of education
a toe on his left foot was broke no vet record of when
high level of sodium in his blood