• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Perches

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
Natural wood perches, flat perches I also have a flat ish clam perch that acts as a cuttle fish (they don't chew it tbf), I also use two large java perches. With branches of all sizes coming off, then a large sisal rope perch. I have around 10 perches as i have a large cage for them, but its not overcrowded.

I don't like cotton too much as I find the perches tend to be cheap and they come apart too quick, even though my birds aren't big chewers tbf.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you very much! So helpful!

Also, do you know what size the perches have to be? I'm looking online and they all say like "6 or "9 i wouldn't want to get something to big.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Those measurements are likely the length of the perch. The width can be various to get your bird used to different sizes. Flat or platform perches are good so they can rest feet. I use rope perches without difficulty. I will never use what is commonaly called pedi perches. They are not substitutes for a good nail trim.

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I agree that the more variety, the better (without crowding the cage too much, as you want them to have room to spread their wings). The length of the perch is not really important (except for fitting in the cage). It's the diameter of the perch that matters for your bird. I'm biased, of course, but I think a healthy variety of perch types and diameters is ideal. Think of it as the furniture we use to sit on: you don't want to have the same chair for every hour of the day, so variety is key. Some flat and platform perches are good also, as that can help them rest their little feet and toes in different positions. They'll most likely have a favorite or two, but as I said, variety is nice! PS: I love your little budgies in your signature. I started with a flock of 5, but now only one remains at about 11 years old (Hawk). They're such amazing creatures.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
How many depends on your cage, as does length. Diameter should be 1/2 inch to an inch for a bird the size of a tiel or conure. I usually use natural wood and rope perches. You just have to watch with the rope perches that they don't become frayed or that the bird doesn't chew them. Most of my birds have been older birds so I like the rope because they're easier on their feet.

Last edited:

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone! Really great info!

PS: I love your little budgies in your signature. I started with a flock of 5, but now only one remains at about 11 years old (Hawk). They're such amazing creatures.
Thank you! I really loved them, Unfortunately I'm no longer a parront to them :sad11: Hawk must be doing really well though! Is he a budgie?

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
How many depends on your cage, as does length.
(without crowding the cage too much, as you want them to have room to spread their wings). The length of the perch is not really important (except for fitting in the cage).
How many depends on your cage size :D
For the cage I plan on getting this,
Amazon.com : A and E Flight Bird Cage with Stand White : Birdcages : Pet Supplies
It would be the right size for both a tiel or a green cheek.

Also, how many toys and perches should I start out with? 5 toys 5 perches? 7 toys 7 perches? 5 toys 7 perches etc. Also, what types of toys do green cheeks like? What do Cockatiels like? Thanks!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I honestly just bought a bunch of stuff and tried them out, they'll get used somehow! My conure is a baby, but he immediately was chewing so I'd say get an assortment so you can figure out what s/he likes to chew. You truly can never have too many toys. Do you currently have budgies (in your pic)? Are they big chewers? Things that my conure likes are balsa (but it goes fast), seagrass, cork, plastic curly q's. At first I bought toys and then I started just buying replacement parts, so I have tons of balsa in a variety of sizes. They also love the bird kabobs. I finally got some of the skewers that you can just put whatever you want on there. If a toy remains untouched for a couple of days, I move it. If still untouched, I swap it out and try it with one of my other birds. And if still no one is interested, I rip it apart and make something else with it. I also have slatted balls that you can stuff things into for foraging. Sorry if this is jumbled!

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I don't currently have budgies, but yes they did love to chew! Some toys would take them about 3 days to destroy, which was usually balsa. (I really miss those little guys!)

That's a good idea, I will get a variety, I know a lot of the vendors have "samples" so I will try a few and figure out what they like. Plus maybe a few larger toys, just so that it will last a while.

How many toys and perches do you think would be too little?

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I think I got about 5 for my new guy. As for perches, that's a large cage so you can probably fit quite a few. My conure's cage is 17x28x32 and I think I have maybe 8... He has two rope perches, a java multibranch one, a bendy ladder, 3 regular natural perches, a small pediperch (the cement kind, and not in a location where he's on it all day), a hanging rope swing (which he loves!) and he has two hut type things. Some people will never use huts because they can be dangerous, but I have found my boy likes to snuggle, so I got him a cozy spot which I check daily to make sure it's all good. I also like to make sure there's an area without too many perches so he can really flap his wings.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you so much! I was thinking of getting somewhere around that much, but I wasn't sure. Unexpectedly, I may spend more on perches than toys lol unless i find some for cheaper....

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I've found some good prices at Petco, or on mybirdstore.com. Even Chewy.com.

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Good to know! I will check those out. The one store I was looking at was getting quite pricey for a few perches. Thanks!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Good to know! I will check those out. The one store I was looking at was getting quite pricey for a few perches. Thanks!
I usually find Amazon to be overpriced on bird stuff. If you have a local parrot store check there too, I was surprised to find that perches are a good price at mine. And you know exactly what you are buying, the variation of natural perches is sometimes disappointing if you buy online.

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I agree that the more variety, the better (without crowding the cage too much, as you want them to have room to spread their wings). The length of the perch is not really important (except for fitting in the cage). It's the diameter of the perch that matters for your bird. I'm biased, of course, but I think a healthy variety of perch types and diameters is ideal. Think of it as the furniture we use to sit on: you don't want to have the same chair for every hour of the day, so variety is key. Some flat and platform perches are good also, as that can help them rest their little feet and toes in different positions. They'll most likely have a favorite or two, but as I said, variety is nice! PS: I love your little budgies in your signature. I started with a flock of 5, but now only one remains at about 11 years old (Hawk). They're such amazing creatures.

Hey, I was gonna tag you!

@parrotlover101 .

Avoid these perches, I ordered off Amazon. Used to be the best, now their lots since Xmas have been junk!

https://www.amazon.com/Penn-Plax-PE...159907&s=gateway&sprefix=Perch,aps,214&sr=8-9

I haven't called Penn-Plax yet but, I have 4 broken 1's here.

You may want to check the vendors here. Almost all of them have perches.

:bighug: