• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Perches and Play Gyms

melissa68

Walking the driveway
im glad you said this, as i made a playgym with pvc and was wondering why my cockatoo wouldnt go on it, so its a thing, with some birds that they dont like pvc?!!!
Did you wrap it in vet tape? That is the extent of my knowledge on PVC play stands lol

dazz

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
dara
i love vet wrap...bought loads in lovely colours, she just peels it off!!!!

Mermaid

Meeting neighbors
This might be another fun option to consider-- stainless steel wire shelves.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
This is our play stand. Didn't cost a thing, it is completely made of branches from the forest and materials I had lying around, except for 1 toy at the far left top -that they NEVER touch- and the yellow ball with paper + the sea grass mat, gifts from my AA Secret Santa.
Also the little swing which I got with the birds and should have been tossed a long time ago since it was broken, there is only the mirror frame left, but I gave it new perches and they like to go though the hole in the frame ;) The plant is a fern, bird safe.

20190809_185348.jpg

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
This is our play stand. Didn't cost a thing, it is completely made of branches from the forest and materials I had lying around, except for 1 toy at the far left top -that they NEVER touch- and the yellow ball with paper + the sea grass mat, gifts from my AA Secret Santa.
Also the little swing which I got with the birds and should have been tossed a long time ago since it was broken, there is only the mirror frame left, but I gave it new perches and they like to go though the hole in the frame ;) The plant is a fern, bird safe.

View attachment 312088
I love it! I'm going to have to go out into the woods and see what I find. I'll have to see what we have that is bird safe in my region.

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I love it! I'm going to have to go out into the woods and see what I find. I'll have to see what we have that is bird safe in my region.
Pine is very nice, they love to peel the flakes of bark :D and I started a few holes on the "trunk", Nova loves to remove fibers from there and chew the holes bigger! The one I used was a little tree someone had thrown away, so mostly dry already.
The horizontal branch is ash I believe, although we've had it for quite a while so I could be wrong.. :confused: My memory is not so good anymore now that I grow old!! :cantsee: It might also be from willow.. :chin:

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
Pine is very nice, they love to peel the flakes of bark :D and I started a few holes on the "trunk", Nova loves to remove fibers from there and chew the holes bigger! The one I used was a little tree someone had thrown away, so mostly dry already.
The horizontal branch is ash I believe, although we've had it for quite a while so I could be wrong.. :confused: My memory is not so good anymore now that I grow old!! :cantsee: It might also be from willow.. :chin:
This gives me a good idea. After Christmas when people have their poor dead trees out for trash pick up I'll go scavenge. Repurpose! I always feel bad for those trees. Maybe that's silly, but I love trees, especially conifers.

Last edited:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
This gives me a good idea. After Christmas when people have their poor dead trees out for trash pick up I'll go scavenge.
I did that for 2-3 years, took branches and gave them to the budgies to munch on the needles, they loved it the first time!! But the following years, I guess it wasn't the same sort, they refused to touch it. Also have to be careful that the tree isn't treated or sprayed with Xmas stuff. I rinsed them several times in the shower, just in case. But I'd think pine is better for a play stand