• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Peppers Questions

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
When I read thar birds like red peppers, is that red chili peppers or red bell peppers? Also, can they have green, orange and yellow bell Peppers? Thanks!

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
My birds love love love peppers, both sweet and hot. Red peppers of all kinds are a strong source of beta-carotene and vit C, so they're great to feed, but all peppers are tasty. :D

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
Chili Can be as 'Hot As' ones.
They do not have the heat receptor.

Ordinary Peppers (Capsicum) in all colours are acceptable.

Theory, Fact, Fiction.
I have heard (No Actual evidence) that really hot Chili's can help fend off worms, Lice and Mites.

All I can tell you is, I have not had any infestations with any of my own birds.
And I feed fresh and chopped dry, often.

Just do not kiss your buddy for a few hours after.

Bear in mind I think the chart is incorrect. Going hotter is OK from everything I have seen discussed.
Anybody? Can you add to this?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I've grown Re d Savinas and Carribean Red...both very hot...Now I am trying some chocolate habaneros. Penny can't eat hot peppers as the oils make her have ulcers on her feet

They may not be able to taste the heat but it can still burn them.

I have not gone hotter to Bhuts or Ghosts...500K is good enuff for me!

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Peppers basically evolved to have birds be their main seed dispersal method, so in theory no pepper should be "too hot"

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
While mammals will avoid food containing as little as 100-1000 parts per million (ppm) of capsaicin, birds will readily consume up to at least 20,000 ppm (mind, we’re talking food that’s 2% pure capsaicin here). The difference seems to be that bird receptor cells are largely insensitive to capsaicin. Certain chemical modifications can make capsaicin somewhat aversive to birds, which shows that it is the structure of the molecule that is the key. Capsaicin sensitivity is perhaps the most well known difference between bird and mammalian receptors, ... This difference is exploited by some commercial bird seeds, which add chili powder or capsaicin to the mixture to deter feeder-raiding squirrels.

The reason chilies incorporate capsaicin in their fruits (and red/green peppers of course are fruits in a botanical sense, not vegetables) seems to be to ensure that their seeds are dispersed properly. When small birds consume the fruits of wild peppers the seeds pass through the gut undigested and, due to the birds’ flight range, are deposited in distant places where they can grow with less competition. If the fruits were consumed by larger mammals the seeds would either be digested, or deposited much closer to the parent plant. Studies have shown that the seeds of wild peppers are in fact dispersed almost exclusively by birds.

Are birds immune to hot pepper, enabling them to eat vast amounts and spread the seeds? – The Straight Dope

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are biological differences between certain pain perception receptors in birds and mammals. The TRPV1 (transient receptor potential vanilloid subfamily, member 1) receptor, also known as the capsaicin receptor, is involved in the perception of unpleasant or harmful chemical, physical, and thermal stimuli. The molecular sequence of this receptor between birds and mammals is only 68% similar, as compared to the >95% similarity for most other central nervous system receptors. What this translates to is an unusually high avian threshold for tolerating the spice in hot peppers. While mammals are put off by concentrations of 10-100 ppm (up to about the heat level of a jalapeño pepper), birds are not even fazed by capsaicin levels >20,000 ppm (habanero pepper territory).

Spice is Nice (for Birds) | The Pipettepen

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It's not like someone with nerve damage sticking their hand in the fire because they can't feel it burning their flesh.

Your bird isn't "being burned" by the peppers. They are, more or less, immune to it.

Mammalian bodies interpret the sensation as a burning.

Avian bodies interpret it as good food! No burning sensation.

Outside of the body, not sure.

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
@Mizzely thanks for the great information you have provided. @clawnz thank you for your input also.
I had wondered about peppers too, and since we get all kinds for stir frys and salads and things, I will see if they like them.
I had been concerned about the "hot" factor of them, but I feel at ease to give them a try now! Thanks so much :)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Mizzely Thank you for that great info. I've been giving Java grated Serrano peppers with his chop and was worried about indigestion or ulcers if he ate them. Good to know he's in the clear.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
They are so full of nutrients but my two do not like any of the pepper family.