• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pepper is gone

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Sending good vibes to both you and Pepper, don't give up.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Although 30 degrees is quite cold, if she found a place out of the wind, she should have done okay. I've seen parrots that, with the right setup, living outside, even in the winter, and they are playing in the snow or even bathing in freezing water!

Here's hoping that Pepper is still fine, if not starving!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Although 30 degrees is quite cold, if she found a place out of the wind, she should have done okay. I've seen parrots that, with the right setup, living outside, even in the winter, and they are playing in the snow or even bathing in freezing water!

Here's hoping that Pepper is still fine, if not starving!
My ex BF did rescued a budgie that we know had lived outdoors for two years. (and this is Sweden) He gave the budgie to me, but I felt awful forcing the "wild" budgie to live indoors so I gave him away to a park that had a very large aviary so he could be free again with other budgies and finches. (almost free) But I did visit him often as long as I stayed in that city.
They are much stronger then we think they are. :)

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Birds Migrate and follow their food source. Not because they can't handle the cold.... Some birds stick around all winter.... an example is Sea Gulls... they eat anything and everything. Summer months you find them at the beach, winter months you find them at the dump. Birds we consider tropical, like macaws, can be found high in the snow covered Ande Mountains in Chile.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Birds Migrate and follow their food source. Not because they can't handle the cold.... Some birds stick around all winter.... an example is Sea Gulls... they eat anything and everything. Summer months you find them at the beach, winter months you find them at the dump. Birds we consider tropical, like macaws, can be found high in the snow covered Ande Mountains in Chile.

I haven't heard of any parrot species migrating though based on season.... unless maybe they are Australian birds!

Kea's are alpine parrots.... pesky little buggers! And cheeky, too! :D

(hoping for some good news on Pepper!)

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
We've widened our search range to include where the last possible sighting was and just got back after a whole day of walking + some driving to put out flyers as we searched.
I had just seen a big bird settle in a nearby tree so I'm afraid of calling for Pepper- it was probably the eagle we saw earlier

Poor Pikachu has been calling and whistling still. We made sure to give the police station a flyer and they said they would let the officers know,
and one of the construction workers was told to keep an eye out..

Tomorrow will be the 7th day. Come on Pepper- go land on someone and come home!

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
17th - Initial escape around 4-4:30PM. Very clearly heard her contact call 2x around 7 something PM close to house.
18th - Spotted being chased across school field by two crows, around 10am, screaming and at tree-top height. Apparently was also spotted a 3min drive away also around 10am.
19th - Possibly seen around that same area again around 10am, in a yard near a group of starlings. Then seen around 12pm flying over a roof, very close to home.
20th - Nothing.
21st - Nothing/ Possible sighting at a Park at 5pm
22nd - Nothing.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I haven't heard of any parrot species migrating though based on season.... unless maybe they are Australian birds!
I was addressing her concern about the cold. Most people think birds can not tolerate the cold because many species "fly south" for the winter to warmer climates - they do this to follow their primary food source, not because they can't tolerate the cold. The insight in the post really had nothing to do with parrots migrating... rather their adaptability to temperature.

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
Try getting some wild small bird food that is/looks similar to what you feed her.... and set up feeding stations in the areas she has been spotted. If she is lost and you provide her with a food source she will stay close to that if she finds it..... maybe set up multiple feeding spots at each location... it will help with the competition from the local bird life....

Last edited:

NK_717

Avenue Veteran
Turns out dad needs to work and mom has to go take a test at 10 so I can't go searching until later :(
Pepper please find someone to land on! Im worried

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
I hope she turns up somewhere.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
come home little one, mama misses you.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
Don't give up hope.
We just had a pair here went missing last week & 1 was found yesterday.
It happened a friend of mine is on all the dog site & it was posted there, she contacted me & I posted it to our bird club last night. Owner was found this morning.
Still 1 of them missing but we all work together.
Check anything for your area.
People that don't know anything about birds don't know where to post or who to go to.
Call every vet in the area.
:hug4:

HawkEagle

Real Name
Paulina
Come on, Pepper! I really hope you find him and don't give up!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
ok little Pepper, it's time you were home with Pikachu, Spike and Jelly bean. Mama is so worried about you, please make your best effort to attract her attention, so you can be home safe with your family again. still praying......