1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pepito is suddenly bitey

Discussion in 'Linnie Landing' started by flyingsowm, 8/20/18.

1. flyingsowm

flyingsowm Strolling the yard Avenue Veteran

We have been travelling a lot this summer. I think the girl who feeds him must be scared and he knows it because he attacks and bites hard when I try to change food or water sometimes when I have him out if the cage. I know it must be puberty . He is a year and 3 months old. I am ignoring the bites and holding him when he is being good. It is very Jeckyl and Hyde ish. Help would be appreciated if you have been through this. I did pet him day before yesterday and he liked it after he calmed down.

Attached Files:

2. Dona

Dona Jogging around the block

Dona
    Gigi is nearly 7 months old so I've not experienced the puberty issue yet. She was a little bitey a few months ago and I think that could have to do with her baby molt. But I did have some trouble with changing out/cleaning perches and the boing. She would lunge and maybe nip. That has stopped for the most part. Oddly I have a little trick I figured out. I say to her "Can I touch your beak? Can I touch your cheek?" She stops what she's doing and faces me for me to touch her. So now I use that line when I'm working inside her cage. If she seems potentially nippy, I say that, touch her, and she seems to settle down. I guess it reminds her how I am not dangerous. Outside the cage, she is happy to step and hang out with me on my shoulder, finger, lap, etc.

3. flyingsowm

thanks Dona! good advice! I also removed toys that hormonal urges.

Dona likes this.
  4. Dona

Dona
    Oh yes, good idea, I forgot that! Gigi's disco ball is long gone! I think she was definitely getting hormonal with it.

5. flyingsowm

He has totally settled down!!!! Back to his loving self. Removing those toys really helped!

6. Dona

Dona
    Aww great news. My girl is sweet as can be right now too. Lucky linnie parents.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)