• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellet wars

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
Puffy has decided that, after a year of eating them just fine, he HATES pellets, and would rather starve and scream all day than eat even a little. I've tried Zupreem, Harrison's, Tropican, and Pelletberries, and he won't eat ANY of them. I'm really frustrated, to say the least. :grumpy:

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
If he eats a good variety of fresh foods I would not worry so much, mine hardly eat any pellet but eat all fresh.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Don't give any sunflower seeds.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
That stinks! I hope it's just a blip and he starts liking them again.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Omg Jingo did the same thing! So super annoying. He was eating Zupreem, then one day decided he would only eat veggies. I finally able to get him to eat Lafeber pellets. He was already eating Nutri-Berries, and I tried Pellet Berries which he had little interest in, but the pellets he ate readily.

fidsmom

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Have you tried Roudybush Crumbles ?

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
You might try soaking some pellets in water or unsweetened fruit juice to soften them. That often works when converting a parrot to a pellet-based diet, and can sometimes help with any parrot reluctant to eat pellets. My adopted CAG Scooter went on a pellet strike for a while, refusing to eat her favorite ZuPreem Fruit Blend pellets, or any others (I tried QP Ralph's Higgins pellets and a sample of Harrison's I got from a pet store but they only got tossed out). I soaked a few pellets and put them in Scooter's dish, and they were a big hit. She and Ralph both enjoy a few soaked pellets every day, along with their dry ones.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Just the fact this said pellet wars made me read it. I know your pain. I went through this for so long with my two I thought I would never get them over to a healthy diet. After 14 and half years they finally decided to try it and enjoy their pellets. It could just be a blip on the radar. I would try maybe crumbling up the pellets and mixing it with some veggies if they eat them. Mine sub their beaks at fresh food and only like the meal bars from LaFaber bunch of picky beaks.