• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pellet conversion help?

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mk
Finally bought my indian ring neck parrot Harrison’s high potency pellets, but the bad thing is she doesn’t like them...
The only way she'll eat a bit is if I make it into a mash and put a seed at the bottom of the bowl, however, even then she doesn't eat it all, most of it is thrown, and I have to feed her. She barely eats the actual pellets, she only licks them, then throws it across the room.

I've read through all the conversion instructions on the Harrison’s website and I am trying to 'wean' my parrot off it’s seed diet, but right now it’s not working because it seems like my birdie would rather starve herself and throw her pellets instead of eating them.

Help me please…?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This may help

That being said, you may also need to try a different pellet at first. Harrison's is a great option but sadly not all parrots agree!

Kiwi & Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
It took months to convert my budgies to pellets. Luckily, they liked the first pellet offered (ZuPreem FruitBlend). I slowy changed how many pellets they got, first I started with just a little bit, but I slowy increased until they were eating a pellet diet instead of seeds. (I mixed the pellets+seeds together and put a small layer of pellets on top so they would have to dig though the bowl to get to the seeds)

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mk
This may help

That being said, you may also need to try a different pellets at first. Harrison's is a great option but sadly not all parrots agree!

Thanks! And I’ve already tried ZuPreem and she hated that haha

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mk
Indeed, some parrots prefer different kinds of pellets :) i have Zupreen Fruity, it “looks fun” for my birds, but yeah.. getting them on pellets is never an easy task :) Just hang in there, and dont give up! Some day they’ll decide its eatable ;-)
Thanks! :D

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mk
It took months to convert my budgies to pellets. Luckily, they liked the first pellet offered (ZuPreem FruitBlend). I slowy changed how many pellets they got, first I started with just a little bit, but I slowy increased until they were eating a pellet diet instead of seeds. (I mixed the pellets+seeds together and put a small layer of pellets on top so they would have to dig though the bowl to get to the seeds)
Thanks, I'll try that!

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I have two rescue Pionusses that got nothing but milk soaked white bread :( i kind of cheated them by soaking the pellets in milk untill they where only on pellets, then i started soaking it in water, and now they eat them “dry” and sometimes still soak them in water themselves :) but it can take weeks untill they are used to one kind of pellets, so give it a while.. dont just switch after the first week :) I would give it at least a month before i would switch to another kind of pellet, then try that a month, etc etc :)

or you could buy different brands an mix them all together ;-)

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mk
I have two rescue Pionusses that got nothing but milk soaked white bread :( i kind of cheated them by soaking the pellets in milk untill they where only on pellets, then i started soaking it in water, and now they eat them “dry” and sometimes still soak them in water themselves :) but it can take weeks untill they are used to one kind of pellets, so give it a while.. dont just switch after the first week :) I would give it at least a month before i would switch to another kind of pellet, then try that a month, etc etc :)

or you could buy different brands an mix them all together ;-)
Thanks, I tried soaking the pellets in warm water and my birdie actually ate some of it! Aww I’m glad your rescue pionusses are now in good hands!
:cheer:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Sometimes you have to keep trying and not give up untill you find the right try.. thankfully this comunity is full of wonderful people who will not judge, but listen and offer support instead!

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mk
Does anyone know how long I can keep the mash out for? All that’s in the mash is crushed pellets, warm water and the tiniest amount of seeds, I keep it in a little tub with a lid :shy:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
My vet recommended giving pellets in the morning and nothing else for a few hours (of course you can give them veggies too, but no seeds), then give them seeds in the afternoon as a treat.
As soon as they have eaten some of the pellets they know it is food and they will eat it if hungry, even if they don't like it. Most of the birds refusing to eat them haven't realized it is food and they can starve to death.

mybluebirb

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Mk
Here’s an update! My birdie has now started eating the pellets whole! Although she still throws a few of the pellets, she now eats the average amount for an IRN and enjoys eating the mash that I make from the crumbs that she leaves as well!
Thanks everyone!
:cantwait:

Gribouille

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Here’s an update! My birdie has now started eating the pellets whole! Although she still throws a few of the pellets, she now eats the average amount for an IRN and enjoys eating the mash that I make from the crumbs that she leaves as well!
Thanks everyone!
:cantwait:
Good job!! She will throw some around, that's just how birds eat ;)